Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Speeding Tickets

I am a law abiding citizen. I don't steal, I don't drink, so therefore don't drive drunk, I don't do drugs, I pay my taxes (unlike Obama's cabinet members), I am kind, strive to do my best in this life. So today when I am driving home from Subway, thinking about Amy having surgery, for the first time in years, I was speeding in town. There wasn't a sole in town, it was 8:00pm which in Waldport means the stores are closed, no one is on the streets and there was me and one other car on the road. I realize I am speeding so I slow down, and all of the sudden I see a police car following me at a closer than legal distance I might add, he follows me for a good mile or more too close to my bumper, and finally pulls me over. He appears to be younger than half my kids. Now as a side note, we don't even have police support the majority of the week. If we were to need the police we would literally be up the creek! Anyway this young police officer asks me why I was speeding, I say it was probably because my daughter just got diagnosed with something. He then goes back to his car and is gone so long (by the way I haven't had a ticket in so long I can't remember when it was) I know he is going to give me a ticket. The longer I sit there the madder I get. I am thinking, is this the best use of our police force and my tax dollars! In the city of Springfiield, if you are a drug dealer you might spend one night in jail and then you are free the next day. If you want to kick them out of your apartment you have to jump throught a gillion hoops. But if I go over the speed limit on a deserted street I get pulled over and have to pay 145.00 so this new young cop can get a ticket on his record.

I remember one time about 30 years ago we had some tenants steal a bunch of our furniture, the police basically sad too bad so sad. I am normally not this way. But the longer I sat there thinking about all the real law breaking people that not only don't pay for a ticket, but use my tax dollars for the police to arrest them, feed them, house them for a night and then let them go. To think about Clinton lying to the grand jury and still getting to serve as president of the United States, I got more and more mad. Then that pip squeak of a policeman comes back with my ticket in his hand and tells me how worried he is that I will hurt myself or some other person for my little amount over the speed limit. He is concerned for my welfare. RIGHT!!! he just wanted to collect more money for the govenment to pay for all the stupid things they do with my hard earned money! Well, I know some of you are going to say well you broke the law, and yes I did, but it still ticks me off!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow Mom. You really got riled up there. You totally reminded me of Grandma so many times in this post...especially when you said, "Then that pip squeak of a policeman comes back ..."- too funny. That makes me wonder if it was someone I went to high school with or something. You're right though- the system is definitely broken. However, we just have to deal with it! Things could be worse, I'm sure. hahhah. Oh dear. Sorry- I was just thinking how unlucky you were. Usually there is just a dummy(literally) with sunglasses on in those police cars. It was probably my fault you got a ticket. I kept you on the phone for so long in the subway parking lot you probably felt rushed to get back home after you got the sandwiches. I'm sorry. I love you! I hope this $145 doesn't break the bank = )

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Amen and Amen I love you and I can't believe he gave you a ticket on such a hard day. I think I would just go to the court and explain to the judge what happened. At least you will get it off your mind. I think I would rather set fire to my money! I am soooooo sorry. Love you mom

Megan and Greg said...

Ok, Amy's getting surgery? Has it already happened? Am I the only one that doesn't know? Could someone please send me an email?

Carina & Dan said...

Amen! I have zero respect for cops. The are pompus & think they are above the law. I went to court to fight a ticket once & the offier lied! He lied in court, I couldn't believe it. He tells the judge he is sitting in a totally different place than he was. Of course the judge will believe everything he says because he is some sworn cop & I am obviously a scumbag lying speeding citizen. Not once have they ever bothered to lift a finger for me when I called for their assistance. They are only available for raising revenue against law-abiding, innocent-mistake-making citizens.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

I'm sorry about your speeding ticket... I've been "lucky" in that my only 2 speeding tickets were, shall we say, well deserved! Though I learned my lesson on the speed trap in Mapleton, heading out to the coast! Won't make that mistake again.

I want to know more about Amy, though... does this have something to do with the fact that her stomach was "normal and squishy" on one side and rock-hard on the other??

LCM said...

Sharon, I was so saddened to read Amy's blog. I hope that it's not cancerous. If you need to talk or have any questions, I would have to practically consider myself an authority on having a child with a blood disease, ugh.
No wonder you weren't paying attention to the speed limit. I hope everything can get resolved soon. My prayers are with you guys.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

mom i'm sorry but it really cracked me up when you said "that pip squeak of a policeman-"- that sounded just like grandma and I just cracked up- I'm sorry you had to pay for a ticket- that is such an awful gut wrenching feeling. And you want to yell at the police man but it woudl just make it worse. Police man are so pompous. I love you-

Penny Cluff said...

I would feel sorry for you BUT I received a ticket for parking in a handicap parking place and I never saw the little coward. I arrived at the Olive Garden to pick up an order before it opened at 11 A.M. I asked the manager what door to go to to make loading all the food easier. It was for a huge Heart Disease meeting with a ton of people. Anyway, OG said back up to the front door. I was the ONLY car in the parking lot and I left the car running so the air would be on to keep salads fresh. I was inside about seven minutes and later that day I noticed something under my windsheild wiper. Yep, a ticket for parking in a handicap zone. This is St. George so the entire front of the store is handicap parking. I could not believe it. I protested within my 30 day limit. It came back refused and the copy had written on the protest a refusal with the words, "I could have written you up for leaving your car running. There is a law against that." All I can say is D&C 121 "Give a man a little authority and......"
Love Penny