Friday, July 3, 2009

Amy

Well, a couple of days ago Amy called me in great pain and asked me to come over. I said I would. She was having great pain in her shoulder, and that added to the wait of 2 weeks for surgery was just a little too much for her. They prescribed vikadon for her, but it is a narcotic so 2 weeks? no way. Any way they said if the pain didn't go away the next day to come in. The pain was still there so much so she could hardly move and talk. We went to Dr's appt. and met with the Surgeon on call. He tried to talk to her, but she couldn't really talk or talk coherently, so I talked for her, I think that was the cincher, he said, "I don't see any purpose in waiting two weeks, so lets check her in at the inn, and do the surgery tomorrow." My first thought was, "there was a purpose?" Anyway overshadowing that was my desire to jump up and down and shout YES!!!! Amy was so happy the pain was a little less for a while and then came rapidly back.

It was so hard to see my little baby, (it is weird how they become babies in your eyes when it is so serious) so weak and sick. I don't think she or Mike could see how sick she had really become. I hadn't seen her in about 2 1/2 weeks. She looked pregnant and so small and fragile.

I could hardly stop thinking about how wonderful her life will be once this is all over and she is healed up. She will have energy, no night sweats, no nausea, a desire to eat, regular sleep habits, (or at least the ability to have them) and the list goes on. I was elated, mixed with of course the normal anxiety of surgery.

Well, she got out of surgery at 2:00pm or so, a little under an hour and a half. I think Mike and I heaved a big sigh of relief! It was a very happy moment. Mike is asleep right now, I think this has all done him in. I am so grateful for my health. I am so grateful I can be here and help with things. I am so grateful for Fasting and the power of the Priesthood.

At this point they think it is Lymphoma. They don't know for sure and won't know until they get the results back from the lab. If it is they said she would have 3 months of chemo. They act like this is a good thing that it is lymphoma. I saw the doctor in the elevator after the surgery and he said everything went great and she looked good, all her organs were healthy. He said with a look of relief on his face, there were no signs of that nasty intestinal cancer. So again even if she has to have something that results in Chemo, they seemed happy and relieved that it looks still like what they thought it was. I am grateful for that. I am just happy she is going to have a full life with energy and the ability to have lots of little kids running around her house singing and dancing with her.

Will keep you updated as things go along.

We love you all and from our whole family we so appreciate your prayers and love!

12 comments:

Emily said...

Thank you so much for the update! I can't stop thinking about Amy, and I'm so glad she didn't have to wait for the surgery. The poor thing...I'm glad the surgeon said everything went well and hopefully she will be able to recover quickly.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Thank you for the update. I'm sure Ethan is wondering who this Amy person is that we mention in our prayers. I'm so glad the surgery went well and I hope she has a quick recovery. No more bad news!

Kristi M. said...

I am so happy that the surgery part is behind her. We have all been thinking about her often. I have been praying that all will work out the way that it is supposed to. I hope that I am able to see you in a couple of weeks. When I hear that you are coming in to town, I will be here to visit for sure. Aunt Penny will be here but I will still be around. I have got to finish up home projects. Anyway, we love you guys!

Chad and Jessica said...

Thanks for the update! I have been wondering and wondering. I was even thinking of stopping by her place today. Way to go being so optimistic about how this will improve her life...that it a definite wonderful thing. I'm so happy everything went well! Our hearts and prayers are with you all!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I am so very thankful we live where we do and that she was able to get it over with. She will be able to heal quickly as she is so young. I truly am grateful for good doctors and good hospitals. We have been truly blessed. May our Heavenly Father continue to watch over us all. I love you all so very much. Hugs and Kisses mom aka grandma and nonnie

rose said...

thanks for the update! we've kept her and mike in our prayers, and will continue to do so.

Megan and Greg said...

Thanks for posting. I thought the lymphona thing sounded bad. I'm glad to know it's better than the other options. That gives me relief. Thank you. I'm glad you're there to help. I'm glad it's OUT! Anyway. Love you. Bye.

HeidiT said...

Thanks for the update -- you are all in our thoughts and prayers and it sounds like as horrible as this must all be to live through that so far it is kind of the best of a bad situation, something very treatable. We love you all!

Carol and Bruce said...

I have been thinking of you constantly, this is such a hard thing for a mom to go through, I can't even imagine. How are YOU doing? I'm so grateful she got medical attention when she did and has been blessed in so many ways. Please let me know if I can do anything at all for any of you.

LeAnn said...

We send our love and prayers to you and Steve as well as to Mike and Amy. We love you all so much.

Penny Cluff said...

Wonderful to talk with you on the phone today. Give Amy a big hug from Aunt Penny. God bless you in your courageous battle that lies ahead. I will put your names on the Prayer Roll.
Penny

Kimi said...

Thanks so much for the update on your sweet daughter. How scary! Wow she is a really blessed girl to have had a surgeon step up like that. I will continue to pray for her and your family.
Stay strong~