Thursday, July 16, 2009

Surprise and pics of Amy in the Hospital and her Incision!

Today when I was running out the door to go to Weight Watchers, Steve noticed a young Deer out by our woodshed. He or she didn't seem to be one bit afraid of us, so I ran into the house and got my camera and snapped a few pics! Fun huh?! Its about time for a little fun, don't you think?

For those of you that haven't seen her spleen, here it is, all 8lbs. of it! Amazing huh! The other pic is her incision. They cut right through her belly button, that will be interesting when it is healed!
When Amy was in the hospital we decided to take pics of her and the luxurious room she was in. They had wood mouldings, fancy tile, and private rooms and an amazing view!Below is more pics of Amy's room and her red teeth, she could only have clear liquids before and after the surgery for a couple of days. She liked the cherry Popsicles. Mike was working on a survival book while he was there. Amy had a hard time breathing after the surgery for a few days, so she had oxygen.

Her lungs started to fill up with water, so she had to blow in that thing every hour 10 times to cause her lungs to fill up with air instead! For about two days this was Amy, pushing this button for more drugs from her epidural !Amy teaches the 7-8 years olds, they sent her these pics they drew!
The people at the hospital were very nice and accommodating. The couch Mike was laying on turned into a twin bed, they offered sheets and blankets if someone wanted to sleep there. Mike slept there on the weekend, and I stayed there during the week. It was a tough experience, she was there 9 days. I was having a hard time not getting discouraged, they told us starting with the 6th day that we would be going home, and then it would be one more day, etc. I realized the necessity of it by the time we left, but it was hard. I was very glad to take her home that last day. I am so grateful for modern medicine and that we live today. Amy will have 12 chemo treatments all together, she has had one, so 11 more to go! She did well with the first one. She will have one treatment every two weeks. It will take just a little under 6 months. They have come so far with chemo, she will have the one that is called AVBD. It is more mild and the long term effects are minimal. A few years ago it would have been cancer free for about 10 years and then she would get leukemia. I am so grateful they have continued to study and figured out how to make it take away her cancer and then have a long and full life with the ability to bear children. Her life will be so much better after she has recovered from her chemo treatments. I am so happy and excited for her to have a healthy body, something she has not had for 4 or more years. Thank you all for your prayers and support. It has touched me greatly. I love you all!

8 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Love the pics! I love you!

Kristi M. said...

Wow! The rooms are super nice. The bathroom looks nothing like a hospital one. Prettiest view from the window. We love you guys!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I am so happy for you and I know that she is going to get through this. We love you so much mom

Our Pratt Pack said...

Oh my gosh that spleen is insane! I'm glad things went well and we wish Amy all the best with her chemo treatments, we continue to keep her in our prayers and on the roll at the DC temple! Love you guys

Megan and Greg said...

I love you Mom!

*Stephanie Lance* said...

Thanks for the pics and updates! She's a trooper! We're all so proud and impressed by her courage and faith and good attitude! Love you!

Danielle said...

Wow- I'm glad you put a pick of the incision. I was wondering! That'll be interesting to see how it heals on her belly button! That pic of her teeth red scared me- until I found out what it was. I was thinking, "they never told me she bled at her mouth!" Holy SMOKES! Thank goodness that was just a popcicle! I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meg said...

Thank you Sharon for the comment you left on MY blog! I really do appreciate it. Thank you for the advice. I have never had anyone in my family have cancer before and I honestly have no idea what to really expect. My mother in law lost her battle to lung cancer 7 1/2 years ago so I think that my husband and his family know what we are about to go through a lot better than I do. I don't live by any family, we are in Vegas and they are all in Salt Lake. I am blessed to be in a wonderful ward. I've already used them a lot this year... I had a baby when I was 21 weeks pregnant in May. His placenta never attached right and I was on bedrest for two months and then my water broke and he had to be born and there was nothing that they could do to save him that small. My ward helped me out so much, I have a little boy who is almost two and WILD and they really helped a lot with him. I was hoping to get pregnant again this month, guess not. I'm glad to see that with the AVBD treatments you can still have kids. That has been my #1 concern (I know that the cancer should be, but it hasn't) is that I wouldn't be able to have kids after this. IT truly has been a blessing to connect with your daughter's blog. I promise I wont bother you guys too much, you are in the middle of your own battle! But thank you so much, I will try not to feel guilty. I wish you and your sweet family the very best!

Meg