Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Walk


Today was my aerobic and strength training day. One of my goals this week was to add 20 minutes to my exercise routine. I wanted that to be walking on the beach. BUtttttt it has been very stormy with very high waves. Today it was mild weatherwise. Still mostly cloudy and cool, but the wind was hardly there and the tide was a little ways out for a change. I was a little concerned about sneaker waves but not too much since it was just going to be a 20 minute walk. As I was walking I found myself doing what I usually do and that was look for interesting things on the beach. I saw a small clam shell and thought it looked different, so I bent down and it was a fossil. I thought, that was interesting. I put it in my pocket. Then I walked a little further and you guessed it, another fossil. I thought hmmm.... maybe this is a fossil beach. Then I found some petrified wood. I started to think about how every beach we have lived on is a little different. In bayshore it was the whole sand dollar beach, with the dunes to hide in and sea lions to watch. Then we moved to Idaho Street and in the winter with the storms came the agates. I think I found maybe 2 sand dollars in 6 years while we lived there. We had easy beach access, roaring waves in our face and yet wide long sandy beach to play on. Here in South Beach, I am still discovering. Here it's like a mini 4th year hike without a back pack when I go down to the beach. The path is full of nature and shrubs and trees with little peeks of the ocean and occasional scenic view spots as you go down. I can't wait for Clay and Danielle to come so Clay can give me a geology lesson about the banks here. I don't think it is unique or special, but it is definitely different than our last 2 beaches. Now would be the time for me to be philosophical. But I'm not going to be. I just love how Heavenly Father has given us lots of beauty and adventures. Well, I'm glad I got up earlier than I have lately, the rain just started pouring down. With all the skylights we have here, you can really hear the wind and rain. Kind of cool! Love you all and hope your day is great!

7 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

So exciting! I told mike and he said "I know I read her blog!" We are really excited to look for fossils, looking for agates was our thing you know- kind of sad if this beach doesn' have them- but now we can look for fossils, and that will be really cool. love you!

Kristi M. said...

So cool! I want to come visit so badly. Makes it easy that we have great family to stay with. I think Gunnar would love it. This year is definately out with a new baby coming this summer.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I am happy yoou got to walk today and the weather was better. The other night it rained and blowed here and I swear it was raining sideways yesterday. We all thought so at the beauty shop. Nice to find great treasures. Love you mom

Megan and Greg said...

That's neat, Mom. I had no idea about your last post! Great pics! I'm glad Jake and Lyndsey got to come up! Your tea stuff looks great set up. Great idea! I'm glad your calling's going so well.

Rebecca said...

Sounds wonderful. It's interesting and cool that you like to look for things and are good at it. I'm not good at it, but I'm glad you are, and others so we can know more about the earth. I love you.

Not quite the Bradys said...

That is so cool!

Penny Cluff said...

Walt and I think your rock is looks like a clam fossil. We are into fossils, we live in fossil country. Walt has a rock paper weight on his desk that he found on the dry Arizona strip. It looks just like a lobster tail. The farm down the road from us found a dino fossil egg that had a baby still in it. Amazing. Enjoy those walks. Love.