Saturday, February 13, 2010

Scones

Well, once again I regret not bringing my own camera. I am a camera girl and should not leave home w/o it. Since I have been at Lizzie's I have been making scones for Tanner everyday. Lizzie made bread and put it in the dough state in the freezer. So first I put some frozen bread dough in the fridge overnight, the next day made him scones (fried bread) that looked like bread sticks with cinnamon sugar on them. With the left over dough I made a small loaf of bread. Well, fresh bread... who can ever get tired of that. Well, next day Tanner says he wants scones again, I take the frozen loaf out put it in the microwave for a very short period of time, cut off some of the dough and put the rest back in the fridge. Well, this went on, fresh baked bread, scones until the dough ran out. I laid in bed, who knows why I was awake! but thinking about scones. I decided the next day to make bread dough, divide part of it up into balls the size of the amount for scones, put them in plastic wrap and then split up the rest of the dough into loaf size wrapped them in plastic wrap and put all 3 loaves in a zip lock thinking the saran wrap would keep them separate...WRONG! I had to pound them on the counter then pry them apart with a knife. Next day I take out the dough ball, pop in the microwave for a minute and a half on 30% power and presto, dough thawed and ready for scones. When we need bread, I just put dough in the fridge the night before, (you can put it in the microwave also, but trickier) next morning shape into a loaf, set out on the counter and then later let it finish rising in a warm oven and bake it! Fresh bread instead of frozen thawed bread. It has been great. I think because it kind of has two raising periods it is even better than normal. Anyway, I have decided to do my bread this way in the future, and when I know I am having grand kids come, I will have some balls of dough for scones!!! Fun! Plus it will be so easy to take some dough out early in the day when we have company and have fresh bread w/o the mess!! Very cool!

Well, I am exhausted, but in a good way. I miss my hubby, and my life, but I wouldn't do it any other way. I am grateful I am healthy enough to help my kids with the new babies. Plus I feel so privileged to be with these perfect spirits as soon as they get here. I feel very blessed!

Love you all!!

4 comments:

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Sound like a grandma, always thinking and plotting on how to be the best and the most purrfect!!! LOL mom

HeidiT said...

So good to know. I actually made scones this week for the first time and the recipe I have said I can keep the dough in the fridge for up to 6wks -- but with only 2 people to feed I am thinking we will be eating scones every week for the next month! Silly me, I didn't even think about freezing the dough when I made it.

Megan and Greg said...

That sounds fun. It's always nice to realize a new system that works. Love you Mom.

Penny Cluff said...

Sharon, great tip on the dough. Made me homesick for my bosch mixer that died before Christmas after 28 years of faithful service. What a choice experience granny...being with Lizzi during this special time. I have Jessi and Katy's babies coming up. It is pure joy. Love.