Sunday, April 8, 2012

Well, I have decided that the reason I have such a hard time posting is because I will take a ton of pics when I visit or someone else visits so it becomes overwhelming and I keep thinking I will do it the next day. Sooooo I am going to just blog as I go along and then add pics to the bottom of the post a little each time.  Hopefully I will catch up!

Lately my life has been filled with filling the callings in primary, (finally done with that one) and subbing in Primary, and learning about Autism.  We have two moderate to severe Autistic brothers.  They are one year apart, 6 and 7 going on 7 and 8 next month.  It has been quite a journey and I have learned so much.  I have had great compassion for them and their family.  As Steve has said more than once, "alot of your conversation when I talk about Primary is Alex and Xander.  I have grown to love them very much.  I have gone from wishing they weren't there to now being so grateful for this experience and being very grateful they are with us.  I won't even begin to say it is easy.  I am so grateful our Primary is small it makes it easier to help them and in the process teach our sweet junior primary that not all people are the same and that we don't have to be afraid of people that aren't like us.  That some people appear to be not smart and in reality they are very smart and just can't communicate their thoughts.  Today Alex who is in first grade and almost 7, read the word baptize before the primary counselor  could say it for him.  It blew us all away.  I can't imagine being trapped in a body that won't let me do or say what I want and need to say.  I am going to attach a video that one of our counselors sent to me.  It is something I think we should all know.  There are many misconceptions about autism, such as, they don't like to be touched, that they are all the same, etc.  Anyway I will stop, but it has been a big part of my life lately.  I have to say, one of the things that has made me very happy was yesterday at our Easter party.  They both talked in sentence style for the first time with me.  Most of the time, sentences are very hard for them. Alex came to find me when he wanted an Easter basket, I wasn't handing them out, I was doing something totally different.  In other words they know me, trust me and feel loved by me.  The huge turn around for all of us was when we started talking to them like we would any other 6 or 7 year old boy, and not overreact to their autistic ways.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XMlhCfp3Q

I loved and was grateful for Conference.  I can't wait to read them all again.  One of the comforting things for me was that their was no talk of the economy, wars, the world coming to an end or anything like that.  Just keep the commandments, Jesus loves us and atoned for us, Heavenly Father answers our Prayers and etc.

I let my house get out of control and finally got it cleaned because we had company, and it feels sooooo much better.  I don't think I had mopped the floor since Christmas.  Pretty sad.

Besides thinking about the reunion and other things that I have to do, I have been realizing how soon we will be putting our house up for sale.  I need to start getting things organized, given away and cleaned up!  Steve wants to put it up for sale in July now.  So in other words I have the next two and a half months to get my house ready to be sold!  I will need to get it ready by the middle of June, because we are going to California for Rebecca and Steve's sealing, babysit Lizzie's kids, come home, 5 days later is the reunion, then at the end of July, Megan's baby is due.  Soooo I will need to be all ready before we go to California.  And you know something, I'm glad.  All the less time to stew an worry about it!

I want to start painting again.  I'm not quite sure how that is going to happen, I haven't painted much without a class. So I need to decide if I want to sign up for a class or just go for it!  I haven't put up my paintings that I did in Missouri. I realized the other day that I haven't put them up because I felt like they weren't just my strokes.  Then the other day I was talking to someone about my paintings and it hit me, they are all me. The teacher may have come around and put her brush on my paintings more than I wanted her too, but I realized that mine looked different than the rest of the class.  The others mimicked her work almost exactly.  When that came to my mind I realized they are me and mine.  I don't know if that makes sense but it has motivated me to want to paint and to hang up my paintings.

I also realized the other day that I need more moderation in my life.  I get on a track and go mach 1 with my hair on fire.  Then I crash, feel bad about myself and get up and do it all over again.  I had a few days this week where I actually did several different things throughout the day and it felt good.  It will be a trick for me to keep it up, yesterday I felt myself going back to the "lets play one key" thing and I realized how exhausting that is!  I don't' feel nearly as tired in the middle of the day when I vary my activities.  Wish me luck!


In February we went to Megans, we had so much fun!  Here are a few pics, the bag is my toiletry bag. 
 Love you all!!!

6 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh my gosh those pictures are so cute! I love the one of dad and scarlet! so cute! and the one with her wearing glasses- so funny. It was nice to see you in a pic for once- very beautiful! I have such a pretty mommy! You are a very busy lady. Always lots going on. Goodluck on the moderation- I think we all struggle with that, just in different areas. love you!

Megan and Greg said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Danielle said...

Oh those pics are soooo cute. You have a busy few months coming! You will get through them. You always do :) Just try to pace yourself and you'll be fine. I love you and miss you so much!

Danielle said...

OH YEAH- you should definitely display your art! My clothes I've sewn with help from a teacher, or things I have sewn with help from you or something...they are still mine that I sewed! Same with the paintings.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I think you really should display your paintings. I loved them when you did them and they definely are a reflection of your work. I noticed that when I saw them. All of which are GOOD!!!! I think your are amazing to be able to work with those boys in primary. I love you and good luck with the moderation thing. Great pictures and I think the one of you and Scarlet is beautiful you are really pretty. Love you

Aliese the Writer said...

Thank you for posting! I miss you when you take long breaks like that. I loved Conference. I didn't notice it, but I liked that you pointed out that there wasn't anything like the world coming to an end, just keep the commandments and Jesus loves us. Those pictures are so cute. Scarlet is absolutely adorable. You are so amazing to do all of that this summer. I'm so glad we get to come to your house before you sell it! That would be sad to only see it once when you lived in it. You should take pictures of your paintings and post them! I would love to see them! Thanks again! Love you!