Monday, February 9, 2009

Random Thoughts

I have had some random thoughts lately, some silly some very serious. I'll start with the silly one. If this one bores you skip down to the serious one it is truly good. I was thinking about how I could blame my kids for my TV shows minus one. I am not a discoverer. I think if I lived a long time ago, I would have been happy to stay in England or wherever I was and just do my thing. I go into a grocery store and buy what I came in for. I was at the weight watchers potluck the other day and they started talking about an olive bar at Fred Meyer. I said what olive bar, and they couldn't believe I had never seen it. They said it was right by the produce section. It had obviously been there awhile. I shook my head and said I have never seen it. I remember when Rebecca first discovered Trader Joes, I thought it was okay, but eventually I fell in love with it. Then as each child would get old enough to shop for groceries they would fall in love with it. And one by one they would say "have you ever ever tried thus and so?" I would say no and ask them where they got it and it would be Trader Joes. I would never notice it. I go into the store with what I want in mind or my list and that is what I buy, until one of my kids would convert me to some new item at TJ's. As the years have rolled by it has always been that way with rare exception. When we moved out here Danielle would go exploring at Fred Meyers and find all the cute holiday things, or the cute shoes or whatever and I would come home with good buys (some of the time) and fun things I never would have seen. So it is with the TV with rare exception. I started watching 24 because Lizzie, and Amy swore we needed to watch it. My two very sensitive girls. I thought okay, it was tough at first I don't watch violent things, but I got hooked-see I can blame them. That same year Amy says we have to watch American Idol, I am thinking I don't know, but she persists, bam, Steve and I get hooked. Then last summer, Danielle and Clay come to visit and say we have to watch Lost. I am thinking ohhhh I don't think so I am just not into sci fi or weird things. But they persist, so I try, Steve doesn't. I get hooked to the point I am watching episode after episode while I am canning tuna, out in the garage at 1:00am scared out of my wits, because you have to have the garage door open part way(plenty of room for someone to slide easily under) watching these episodes of Lost. Now I am so hooked I get in the car drive to our beach house to watch Lost on Wed nights all by myself in our house with no neighbors (it is kind of creepy) but I love every second of it. I go to our Beach house because the stupid Dish Network can't seem to negotiate with ABC, so we don't get it any more. We have signed up with Direct TV, but obviously so has our whole territory, and so the earliest we can get Direct TV is March 12th!!!! Oh well, it is kind of fun to go to the BH all by myself. Now my children have tried to get me into the Office, and I have to admit I do like it, but I never seem to remember which day or network it is on, so obviously I don't love it and I don't want another TV show that I have to blame my children for getting me to watch. :-) Now I have to admit I do watch one show that I discovered all on my own about 3 years ago while I was in mourning after Danielle left. I was watching far too much TV, feeling sorry for myself. I would hide in my room and scan the channels, and somehow ran into the Closer. I love it, it is so weird that I find great comfort in it. I don't recommend it to any of my daughters, but I continue to watch it when I can because for some odd reason it makes me feel good-go figure. So you see when it comes time to being accountable, I can just say it is all my kids faults! Hee Hee! I know you all will love that!

Well, onto more serious things. I was studying my scriptures last week for Sunday and it was basically the same chapters as the week before, I thought well, this will be interesting to look for something different in the same chapters. I absolutely loved it. It was all about how to recognize the Holy Ghost, so I made a list in my Journal of all the ways the Holy Ghost talks to us. I thought I would share it with you.

Holy Ghost talks to us...
1. In our Heart and Mind
2. Still small voice that pierces our soul, sometimes causing us to quake( key here that I noticed and never gets talked about it's not just a still small voice, it is a still small voice that pierces our soul)
3. Peace to our souls
4. Leads us to do good
5. To do justly
6. Judge righteously
7. Enlightens our mind (the "aha" feeling or clarity)
8. Fills our soul with joy
9. Edifies us -light and knowledge
10. Warmth in our heart and sometimes whole body
11. Occupies your mind-presses itself upon you

We won't get all of these at once necessarily, but definitely one of them.

Now I really studied what Stupor of thought meant, Stupor means: Reduced sensibility, confusion, dazed-footnote said mind darkened.

I looked up sensibility it means: keen mental perception; the ability to feel or perceive sensations; mental or emotional responsiveness toward something; receptive to an impression whether pleasant or unpleasant.

I thought this was really cool to have them all in one spot and to really study what stupor meant. People tend to focus only on the part that says you will forget the thing which is wrong. When the word stupor and all the other signals are just as important. I think just like not everyone feels the same thing when they receive an answer to prayer, it is wrong to think you will always forget the thing that is wrong. I think that will happen eventually but not necessarily at the moment you are trying to make the decision. Anyway I hope this will help some of you. I wrote it in my journal and the definitions in my scriptures, because I know I won't remember that long definition of sensibility. One thing I have noticed about dictionaries is that they really enlighten scriptures when you use them to look up words.

A fun thing that happened yesterday when we were visiting a ward for their ward conference. I always visit a class from senior primary. This time they assigned me the kids that were 7 turning eight. The same age some of you teach. It was so funny to watch the kids and how they couldn't sit still, but they were totally paying attention. They knew what the teacher was talking about and he was reviewing the week before and they were on top of it, they knew all the answers. It cracked me up. He was a great teacher, and the kids were staying either in their chairs rocking the chair back and forth, or standing up in front of them, but they could not hold still to save their lives. I couldn't help but think of my daughters teaching primary and I think Greg either teaches or taught that age also. It was fun. The longer I visit primaries, the more I come to the conclusion that Primary Presidencies and Stake leaders don't get it that little kids just plain have the wiggles and it doesn't mean they are being irreverent. I think about myself and no matter how hard I try I can't keep my legs still. I am reverent because I am an adult, but sometimes I would like to bust out of my seat, just like they do. But I am an adult and adults don't do those kind of things. I think it is too much to expect out of little kids. In the Church handbook it talks about the need for physical activity in sharing time more than once. I think the General Board gets it, and the First Pres. has put their seal on it. I wish more primary presidencies would get it and let their kids move around more instead of expecting them to sit still and be reverent while they are visiting in the back about their week. I am not trying to criticize, just making an observation. And maybe helping all of you if you ever get in a situation to be in leadership in Primary, let the kids move!!!!

Well, I think this is very long and it is time to quit! Love you all!!!

4 comments:

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I enjoyed what you said about the TV watching. I find it hard to understand how anyone can get hooked on a program, as you know I don't watch any program except news and I only watch that because dad does. I will watch if it is on and someone wants me to, but I never know when a program is on or what time it's on, and I never turn it on for myself. I really have no idea how the dvr works and can hardly work the remote. I loved what you said about the Holy Ghost. Really good! I love you

Lizzie said...

I completely blame Lillie and Ross who forced us to sit down and watch the first episode of season 5, of 24. Since then, I've been hooked. American Idol...totally your fault. = ) You were at my house last year, and just couldn't miss one of the shows. So I watched it with you and now I'm hooked. Now what you need to watch is So you think you can dance. Good, good show. I like it better than idol. Love you. Lizzie

AMY AND MIKEY said...

That was good. OK 24- I told you to watch it way before lizzie, and you wuoldn't listen to "amy" - it wasnt' until "lizzie" said something that it was worth watching! I had already seen 4 seasons by the time you saw your first. Just had to say that. everything you said was wonderful- and that is so how that age is! Just wiggly! They love to just stand in front of their chairs! i love you

Karen K. said...

I was looking at Amy's blog and thought I'd jump over to yours--I check it out every so often because it is always interesting. I really appreciated your thought about wiggly primary children. It gave me an entirely new perspective. You are sooooooo right! I will be much more patient from now on. (and hopefully I will never be in a primary leadership position...) ~Karen (Sarah P.'s mom)