Monday, June 28, 2010

Random Things

When Steve and I went to New York a few years back, we went on a walking tasting history tour of Greenwich Village. It was pouring down rain but fun and tasty. One of my favorite places was a little Olive oil store named O&CO. They had delicious bread and different kinds of olive oil to dip it in. I thought they were to die for, even just the regular olive oil. Steve thought it was in my head. They told us because we went on the tour we got a discount on the oil and they would ship it for free whether we bought the oil that day or after we got home. It was spendy so I had to think about it. Towards the end of our trip I just couldn't stand it. I went back on the subway all by myself and bought some and they shipped it to our home. I bought the lemon and the basil. I fell in love with the lemon, and when it ran out I didn't know what I was going to do. About that time Lizzie was going to New York with Shad, so she went and bought some and they gave her the discount. About a month ago I ran out of what Lizzie had bought me. I found the card for the store and the number called it and the number had been discontinued. I was a very sad girl. I went on line to the main company's website and found out that they had a few stores in the US, but the closest one to me is Seattle. So I ordered it online with no discount of course. :-( Well, you know what happens next, I start getting ads from the online store. And then a big sale ad comes across my email. I wasn't going to look at it and then couldn't resit. I bought some small cans that still were way to expensive, but I thought what the hay, life is too short not to have some fun. Here are my fun new oils. I haven't tasted them yet, but I want to experiment with using them not only with bread but my fish , salad and who knows what else. I am excited.

Oatmeal
I love my oatmeal, just have to say it! It is so good for me and tastes so good. I use Old Fashioned Oats now and they are sooooo tasty. I use soy milk instead of water, add flax seed oil, flax seed ground, wheat germ, and lots of berries. MMMMmmmmmm!I can't remember if I blogged about this before, but if I did, it deserves two blogs! I bought this at Fred Meyer on a whim. When we moved from Idaho Street to here, there was a rust spot on our light blue carpet in the master bedroom. It was from things spilling under the love seat. So I went to Freddies and found the above. I thought the worst it could do was not much. It worked and didn't change the color of the carpet or do any damage to it! I was amazed. I took it back home with me and tried it on my porcelain cups that had rust from canning lids in my dishwasher. Voila! It worked. I love this stuff, a great addition to any home!!!!

We have a painter in our house today!!!! I have never been so happy to have a worker in our home. For the last 2 and half months we have had noise, dust, dirt, men going in and out from 8:00am -sometimes 5:30pm. Chaos has reigned. I have mopped my floor once since we have moved in, there was just no point. Then when the construction had stopped and the elevator was in (which is awesome by the way) all that was left was the painting. We tried and tried to find someone and gave up. We started to paint (I should say "I" started to paint) and someone finally called back! Wahooooo! When the paint is done we can as Steve put it, "finally move in." We are moved in obviously, but knowing we were going to put in an elevator caused us to not bring certain things in because we would just have to take them out again. I almost have my sewing room back. It became a storage room for some of the things that were in the way. There is finally light at the end of the tunnel!!!

The elevator. When Steve puts the flooring down in it I will take a pic of it. We put the elevator in because Steve was having problems with his knees, and if we ever sell this home the people that buy it will be our age or older, so it will be a huge selling point. Our main living area is upstairs, so going up and down the stairs is an ongoing thing all day. The first time we went in it together we just giggled all the way up and down. For me personally I go up and down the stairs still, BUT when I go to the store especially Costco/TJ's trips in the valley it is awesome!! One Sunday when I had scary heels on, down the elevator I went! When we have to vacuum downstairs you guessed it we put it in the elevator instead of dragging it down the stairs. I love it!

Steve was watching the BYU channel the other day and came across this great talk about being perfect, everyone should read it I cried and was greatly moved by it. Read it!!!! http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2002/ss_reynolds.htm

Well, the day is marching on, love you all!!!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

Yeah...taking the vacuum up and down stairs- that would be nice to have an elevator. I never really thought about how whoever you sell to will probably be older in age...MAN ON MAN- I'm so excited to come visit! I think about it every day! Multiple times! I am just so excited! I really hope it's nice weather when I am there. Love you!!! Oh yeah- those oils sound interesting! I will have to try some when I'm there!

HeidiT said...

Yummy, I love dipping bread in oil -- those look SO good! And I'll have to remember the rust cleaner, I'm always afraid to try new cleaners because you end up wasting so much money on things that don't work so it's good to hear when people have used them. I say good for you for going for it with the elevator! Why not? Plus it probably helps a ton on those big shopping days especially since you don't live really close to the big warehouse stores.
Hmmm, I'm still thinking about how I really need some oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic right now :)

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Great post. That elevator sounds so great! You know what- that will be nice when we have babies to not use the stairs, and worry about tripping, we can just use the elevator! I'm so excited to see everything!!!!!!!!! That oil sounds so yummy. Can't wait to eat some of your bread with it. (by the way- Mike devours your wheat bread every time we go to your house adn doesn't touch mine :( nobody can make it like you. So make some bread before we come!!!! or wihle we're there- I'm so excited! love you!

Megan and Greg said...

Great to know about the rust remover! We don't have much of an issue, but it's always good to know if something works well. I'm glad all the chaos is almost over. What a good feeling. The oils look good. I'm glad you got them. I had such a good time with you the other weekend. We've got to do it again soon!

Kristi M. said...

I am now wondering if I have any rust issues in my house that need taken care of. It is always nice to see others use some of these things so I know if they work or not. i love the little containers the oil comes in. So cute and they look really yummy. Now I want to dip bread.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I loved the post and the oils sound yummo as Rachel would say! I too loved the weekend and I am happy for you that your work and mess are almost over. I love the elevator and it will be perfect when we come over. I do miss seeing you. You do make the best bread, I won't be able to have any for a few months:( but that will be okay. I love you

Penny Cluff said...

I don't know how I got to be as old as I am without knowing the yumminess of olive oil. About 10 years ago I ate in an east indian cafe. They brought bread, dipping oil and vinegar mixed with herbs. I fell in love with olive oil that day and have had a passion ever since. Our RS had a lesson on making your own combos in the cute bottles. Have you tryed making your own? Can't wait to ride the elevator in September. Sounds fun. Love.

Aliese the Writer said...

I love dipping bread in oil at Johnny Carinos (did I spell that right). It is so yummy. I am so happy for you that your house is almost done and you can "move in". I wish I could go there with Danielle. I miss you so much. I love you. :)