Friday, June 13, 2008

Picking lettuce! And Sssssnakessss

The highlight of the week was working in the greenhouse and picking our first lettuce. There is nothing like the lettuce out of my greenhouse. It is weird how some things are just better from the greenhouse. I used to try to grow lettuce in Springfield and it would be bitter. I am not kidding the lettuce I picked the other day tasted like butter. I am sure it is the variety, but the other one is just as tasty.

When I went out to the greenhouse this week for the first time in quite a few days, I noticed 3 snakes in this one bed. I had noticed one in there many times. 3 was just a little creepy, especially the way they would wrap around each other when I made some real movement toward the bed. We mostly stare at one another, but I do have to work in my beds. Then I walked to the other end of the greenhouse and there is another one bigger than the other 3 in a different bed. He or she is a little more skittish than the others. It doesn't like me looking at it. You can see it scooting away as I take the pic. I came out the day I took these pics and I only saw one in the first bed and one in the last bed. I don't know where the other two are. I researched about whether they are good for the greenhouse and they do eat bugs, and slugs, mice, etc. So I think they are good. But I read they have a minimum of 20 babies per litter!!!! They can have as many as 90. I fear one day I will walk out there and feel like I am Indiana Jones hunting for the lost Ark! Oh well, will keep you posted!

I finally staked my tomatoes. I know they look sparse, but you have to prune them before and as they grow. For those of you that I have talked to about this, you know what a big deal this is. I have been wanting to do this for two years. I was scared to do it, but finally went out to do it. I felt very empowered afterwards. I was watching a DVD about positive thinking and etc. and one person said to substitute the word curious for the word afraid, it worked for me!! Silly I know, but I just knew somewhere the tomato staking police were hiding waiting to take me away if I didn't do it right! :-)

One day this week I wasn't doing very well, and I went out to my greenhouse, turned my music up loud the way I like it, (Steve teases me all the time about it, he says he can tell the plants look happier after I turn on my music, I just smile and think they probably are happier! ) I usually play my classical music, but this day I played a cool soundtrack CD, "Somethings Got to Give" that Megan gave to me a few years ago. I put on my gloves, opened up some compost and started digging. I had a really bad headache when I went out and was tired of taking Excedrin, so I just decided to ignore my headache. After a while I was quite euphoric. I noticed my headache was gone and I was wishing everyone had a greenhouse. I wanted to go out and buy everyone one. It is such a cool environment, a world all unto itself with lots of oxygen, and plants that obey Heavenly Father completely. What more can you ask for !!!

Steve and I are excited to go to Greg's graduation. The speakers are sometimes dull, but there is something about seeing someone you love walk across that stage and get that diploma that is wonderful.

I have a talk this Sunday, I still don't know what I am going to talk on. I thought about the atonement, I don't know.

The sun is out for the third day in a row!!! Yea!!, it is still cold outside. Steve and I tried to go for a walk, but I was too cold. I found 3 smallish agates. I think I could have tons if I went out more. Oh well, priorities and choices.

I have much to do today, I have to clean my house, Amy and Mike are coming for a few days!!!! We are really excited about that also. I need to do some things in the greenhouse, and write my talk!

Well, love you all!!!!

6 comments:

Not quite the Bradys said...

Ughhh. Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? My skin is crawling. Come read my post from today. We had to deal with a creature too.

Danielle said...

I am so jealous of Amy and Megan that they get to see you so much. Not fair. Anyway- I am glad you posted. I've been thinking about you the past few days but never seemed to find the time to call. Okay- you make me laugh. Snakes?! What appalls me is that you can just stand there and watch them, and take PICTURES of them! I would be running towards the house as fast as I could SLAMMING the door shut. You made me laugh when you said you fear you will feel like INdiana Jones...hehehe. I think that's awesome the lettuce is so good! Hmmm...what else...oh yes. You can buy me a greenhouse if you'd like, it'd probably be bigger than our apartment if you are giving us the same size as yours:) Seriously...I'm pretty sure it would! I love you so much!!!!!!! I sent dad a package yesterday, if it doesn't get there by tomorrow will you tell him it will hopefully come monday? I procrastinated. I'm sorry. Anyway, I love you! I loved hte post!

Lizzie said...

I've never been afraid of snakes, I actually think they are cool. BUT, it is kind of creepy in your green house, especially if they pop out that many babies. It really would be Indiana Jones.

Your lettuce looks beautiful. I am very happy for you that you staked your tomatoes. I bet your so happy it's done.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I am with you about the snakes, if it crawls on it's belly, I don't like it and it reminds me of Lucifer and so I am like Danielle, I would be running for cover. I am glad you got the tomatoes done and the lettuce looks delish. Have fun with the kids there. Love mom

Megan and Greg said...

I had no idea anyone in our family could not immediately run from the sight of a snake. Mom, I'm impressed. Those snakes looked icky. Shiver! I don't know if I could just put my hands or feet or anything near a snake. It freaks me out. I guess they can't bite you? Otherwise I might toss them out, and leave one? What about the babies?

Rebecca said...

How many bugs do the snakes really eat? Is it enough that I should go get a snake for my garden. Are there any snakes that eat weeds, that's what I want. Love you.