Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Grains and Happiness Project

Well, I have lots to blog, but am probably only going to blog a little.  Chef Brad has started again...ahhh love that show.  It motivates me to eat well, and to try to incorporate more grains in my food.  Lizzie got me some GREAT grain cookbooks for my b-day.  They are written like a novel.  I love them.  They really motivate me.  I am hoping to start cooking more things like that.

I have been reading the Happiness Project.  It is really good.  I realized that I don't do things I really love.  One thing I realized is I do like to cook, but I don't do fun new things.  I just cook boring things.  I watch chef brad make these cool breads and I get all excited and want to do them.  It is weird how hard it is for me to do things I love.  I love to paint, but am afraid to do it on my own unless I am taking a class.  So why don't I take a class?  I love to sew for myself- why don't I?  I love to take pictures, now that it's easier to post them, I need to take pics and post them.

I have decided it is about habits and routines.  At WW's this coming year, one of the things they are going to focus on is routines.  I have thought a lot about that.  I got about 8 pounds above goal for the first time in almost a year.  That really threw me and puzzled me.  When I started reading the new focus on routines I really I realized that my routines were interrupted so many times since June that I couldn't seem to get back into my routine.  I stared to think about routines in general.  If doing fun things are not a part of your routine, you won't do them.  So I am going to try to figure out which thing I want to incorporate first and make it happen.

One of my counselors in Primary (Joy King)  told me that she never does her hobbies unless she wants too.  She say's if she makes herself do them it becomes work.  But it was clear, being in her two room craft area that she does do things she loves.  So normally I would go into the sewing room and sew Mach nine with my hair on fire to finish Brighton's quilt.  But when Joy said that I thought I am going to sew when I am in the mood.  It has been so much fun.  I stopped when I was tired.  I have wanted to sew more than I have, but again I seem to cheat myself of fun.  So that is what I am going to work on this year more than the 50 thousand things she does in her book (the happiness project lady)  I am going to start recognizing and doing things I love.  And I am going to remember I am doing it for me and that is a good thing.

I think when you have a big family and you spend so much time serving, it is hard to change gears and say it's okay to do something for me, or something for someone else but take time to enjoy it.  Plan far enough ahead to be able to enjoy the process.  Well, duty is calling.  love you all!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Yes I loved that part of the book! I'm excited that you are going to try doing that. I should hop on Chef Brads website and see what I haven't watched! I don't think I watched any of last seasons...with the beans. I need to! Love you!

Megan and Greg said...

The last year I've been realizing that I'm happy when I work hard and play hard. You need both and can't take a long break from either one. You always love your painting classes. I think you should take one!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

i'm glad you're reading that book, and i want to read it too. I hope you start doing what you love to do. And stop when it turns into work. I feel like I get more done when I do things that way- (sewing wise). I imagine it would be really hard to do things for YOU when you've spent the last- 30+ yrs serving your children AND grandchildren. Time for you! I hope you really do this. Love you!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I love you and I think it is great that you want to do this, and I wish you luck. I sew sometimes because of necessity and sometimes we just love doing it. I would love to take a watercolor class so I could paint more. Love you