Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mixed emotions

Well, I was doing the dishes after watching Fox News for most of the day feeling very depressed.  Thinking this ranks right up there with one of the most depressing things I have ever experienced, Mitt Romney losing the election.  Then my mind thought, no it's not that bad, but still very depressing.  Then for some reason my heart started to feel lighter.  I thought of some of the things that have happened in our family that have been really bad, Amy's cancer, Danielle, Clay, and Scarlet getting Lyme disease.  There are other things more personal.  I can think of nations that suffer tremendously.  Do I think our country is headed down the wrong road?  YES I DO!  But is the gospel still true? YES.  Do I have a family that loves me and each other? YES I DO!  I could go on and on.  

Pres. Monson Said: "We live in a unique time in the world’s history. We are blessed with so very much. And yet it is sometimes difficult to view the problems and permissiveness around us and not become discouraged. I have found that, rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness.

My brothers and sisters, the Lord is in all of our lives. He loves us. He wants to bless us. He wants us to seek His help. As He guides us and directs us and as He hears and answers our prayers, we will find the happiness here and now that He desires for us. May we be aware of His blessings in our lives

Let us be of good cheer as we go about our lives. Although we live in increasingly perilous times, the Lord loves us and is mindful of us. He is always on our side as we do what is right. He will help us in time of need. Difficulties come into our lives, problems we do not anticipate and which we would never choose. None of us is immune. The purpose of mortality is to learn and to grow to be more like our Father, and it is often during the difficult times that we learn the most, as painful as the lessons may be. Our lives can also be filled with joy as we follow the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Lord admonished, “Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”1 What great happiness this knowledge should bring to us. He lived for us and He died for us. He paid the price for our sins. May we emulate His example. May we show our great gratitude to Him by accepting His sacrifice and living lives that will qualify us to return and one day live with Him."

The above quotes came from 3 different talks that Pres Monson gave in this last October conference.  It is my prayer that we may all drink deeply of his words.  Let them sink deeply into our hearts and believe our Prophet.  He speaks for the Savior.  I know this to be true.

I love you all!!

5 comments:

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I love you too and I was depressed also for awhile, I really thought that Romney would win. I think we have to live through more things to prove our ability to endure to the end so to speak. I know that many people will have to answer for a lot of things, and I suppose it needs to finish, however I don't know what the future holds, but I do know WHO holds the future, and we have to trust in Him. God Bless you and we all have many blessings, just think of all those people in NJ and NY. Hugs and Kisses

Danielle said...

Good good post. I am having such a hard time but trying SO hard to keep positive. It will probably take a few days but I agree it is crucial we still have optimistic hearts and as long as we rely on the Lord all will be well. Sigh...

Love you!

Lizzie said...

love you

Aliese the Writer said...

Thank you, Grandma. I think we all needed that. I thought that was funny when you said that this was probably the most depressing thing that has ever happened to you. Not that it's funny, but I think that's exactly the same way we all felt. But what we all keep telling ourselves is, the gospel is still true. We can still go to church and read the scriptures. And I can still go to seminary! Which makes me very happy to remind myself of that. :) Love you!

aber said...

Beautiful.