Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day Camp and Ruby and Miles

Well, day camp couldn't have gone better! The only things we forgot were things that didn't matter like paper towels. We learned what we wanted to do better and made a running list of things to change and that we forgot. I was thrilled though with everything. I was so impressed with the men and how much they served us and their boys. We will start advertising and organizing earlier next year so we can get every boy possible. We asked all the men to do a spiritual thought with their activity at their station and they did, it was great! We also had them learn this beautiful song that was all about being a warrior today. It was great and some of the boys had it memorized. At the end of the day it was so neat, you could tell it meant more to them than it had in the morning, and that was my goal. It was great!!! If you ever have to do a stake event like that-simplify, simplify, simplify! We had hot dogs on a stick and dough for the bun. Our snacks were all done ahead and were in small snack size zip locks. We were able to go watch the boys and mingle with them because we weren't doing busy work in the kitchen part of the shelter. I was able to take pics of all of them and print them that day. I was very happy with the day! Have I already said that? :-)

Ruby and Miles are here, and once again I am reminded I am not in my 20's, 30's or even my 40's. I have also learned that I do certain things better than other things, like watch movies, make pancakes and cupcakes, cookies, sew with Ruby, tea parties,going to the aquarium, shopping, those kind of things. I also am really good at holding Miles when he wants to cuddle. Playing pretend is easier when I am at Ruby's house. I think when I am not so tired I can pretend better. We are having a great time though. I am just reminded that I am not the mom, so it's okay if they watch more TV than normal. I think that I need to focus on the things I do well, and do those, then my grand kids will remember those things and that we had fun . I think I worry too much about doing things the way their mom and dads would do it. I think I just need to make it easy for me and then I will be ultimately patient and they will be happy. Now having said all that, I have been having a good time, and so have they as you will see. We made bug cupcakes, they turned out soooo cute. Well, I love you all!!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

CUTE! I'm so glad that your day camp went good. You said, "It was great!" about a bazillion times:) That makes me so happy. I know you worked hard on that. The pics are soooo cute. Those cupcakes are way cute! You don't need to worry at all about how you are with your grandkids. I think you are a perfect grandma! I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Well hooray!!!! and hooray, you are getting what being a grandparent is all about. Not that you didn't have it before, I just think we really need to enjoy the journey. You really don't need to concern yourself with what they do at home and with their folks, just have fun with the whole thing. That is what they remember and trust me that is what you want them to remember. You are a special kind of hero, and they will always love you because you are special, and then they can get back to life as usual when they go home. Life should be fun at grandma's. I am so happy for you that the day camp went well. Good for you. Hope the tooth is much better today. Love mom

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, those are the coolest cupcakes I have ever seen! They were just so cool! I'm so glad we have the blog. I love you so ,much. You are a good grandma. I'm so glad when my kids meet you they'll have fun things to do. It's neat you and Ruby have so much fun. You are always thinking of them. You totally have it right about relaxing and doing things at your pace. Remember, they'll be happier the happier you are. I love you. Tell Dad we love him too. MISS YOU!!!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh my gosh, those cupcakes are so professional! They are amazing! And they look yummy. I'm glad the day camp went so well. Aren't you glad you didn't quit? You are right about the grandma stuff- do things your way- both parties will be happier! I love you!

Not quite the Bradys said...

I think Ruby looks more like Steve all the time.