Friday, March 20, 2009

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched!

Well, we decided to change to Direct TV and become modern with DVR because Dish dropped ABC which Lost is on. It would save us some money because of the special they would offer changing companies, etc. It all sounded good, although you know us, that decision took days and hours. We finally make the decision and I call and make the arrangements. They tell me someone will be calling me within 3 days to set up an appt. About 5 days later I realize that they still haven't called. I call them and they say I haven't signed up. After you know the typical "hang on I will see what happened", they discover that the name and phone # connected to my account isn't correct. So she takes about 15 min or more trying to change that and discovers she can't do it and someone else will have to do it. But she does make an appt. for me and it is 5 weeks later!!!! I think oh well, we have lived fine w/o it all this time so whats another 5 weeks. They send me an email to confirm my info and the name and phone # is still wrong. I call and they work on it and finally they get it right. About a week before our appt. I get an email saying that they are coming on the date they said they would and our time slot is between 12AM-1AM!! I think boy this company is not very together. The day before they are supposed to come I decide that I should call and ask what the real time is so we can be prepared. I find out they have changed the date WITHOUT notifying us and it is a week later!!!! We would have sat around all day wondering where they were. Our new appt is supposed to be between 12-4pm. We get all ready the night before make sure all the rooms are clear and ready. About noon Steve starts pulling the TV's away from the walls, and about 3:30pm the guy calls and says he's not going to make it by 4, he is running late and it will be be in the 4-8pm time slot. Disappointed but oh well. About 6:30 he still hasn't shown up so through the wonderful technology of caller ID, I call him and he still isn't done!!! Now we all know this is not summer and it is going to start getting dark soon. He shows up at 7:45!!! He actually thinks he is going to install it, a 3-4 hour job!! He then proceeds to tell us all the many holes he is going to drill and that he has never done a job with 3 dvr's before and that means..blah, blah, blah. We tell him that we think it is too late at night and that we want him to come back the next day. What a shock-(not!!) he can't squeeze us in he has appts already scheduled for the next day. We are trying really hard now not to start yelling and swearing. We tell him we want a first thing in the morning appt. no matter what. He calls in and they say they can fit us in on Friday morning. We say okay. So we spend the next 24 hours trying to decide if we still want this knowing all the things this means that we weren't expecting. We even starting wondering if we just wanted to cancel Dish, and Direct TV and just use DVDs and the Internet. In the end we decide to go with Direct TV and put up with all the unexpected things. Friday morning comes, I get up forgo my morning exercise because the installer will be in all the rooms I exercise in. He shows up about 8:15 and Steve takes him all around the house inside then outside, and Steve comes in and says to me that it looks to him like we won't be getting Direct TV after all, they want to drill holes into our roof to install it.! Dish put the dish on our fascia boards but Dirct TV won't do that. Well, on the coast you drill as few holes possible in your house and you never drill into your roof!!!! The wind will drive water into the smallest holes. We aren't newbies to the coast. Steve gets on the phone and talks to the head guy and they won't budge. So after all that we send the guy away, we sit down at the table and both sit in shock and disappointment for a few minutes before we say anything. What a mess! Oh well, life amazingly will go on! Ha Ha. So we are still in the dark ages. We are thinking about upgrading with Dish to dvr, but I am not holding my breath!

The other day I wrote about this in my journal and thought about how we let ourselves get so upset about things of the world, and Steves response to me when I said that to him was, "we live in this world!"

Well, other than that excitement I have a crazy weekend, Salem for WW's tomorrow, and Corvallis for church on Sunday. Hope you all have a great weekend. Love you all!

6 comments:

Chad and Jessica said...

Okay, I know that was a miserable experience, but the way you told the story was hilarious. How obnoxious! UGH! They do not have it together...in a way, I feel bad for the employees, cuz they don't seem very well-trained or prepared etc. What an ordeal that could have been solved SO MUCH SOONER! Now every time you drive by a Direct TV(or was it DISH network) van, you can pretend to throw eggs at it, or pretend to shoot their tires. This helps me stay calm when someone ticks me off, and then I just move on.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH MY GOSH. I cannot believe that. I laughed though when you said you were sitting silent in shock for a few minutes before you said anything because I could totally see it. And I can see Dad saying "we live in the world!" oh my gosh- I am so sorry-

Danielle said...

YOWSA! Holy Smokes. Okay- I am so sorry you had to go through that. I think I would've been yelling at the guy when he said he had appointments the next day. I HATE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE! How horrid. And you didn't get to watch LOST either, I presume. On your last post- the movie options are AWESOME! Australia is GREAT! And of course HSM3 is, and I've HEARD that Marley and Me is wonderful as well. I love you!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Well Sharon, I prayed you wouldn't have any trouble with direct tv. However Ron and Cathy got it and Cath has been sorry ever since they hooked it up, so maybe Heavenly Father was just saving you. I truly am sorry about it though, I hate to hassle. It sounds like you really got shoved to the back burner as far as customer service is concerned. I love you and I hope your week-end is good. Mom

Megan and Greg said...

I would have gotten really worked up. It might not really matter, but it was a HUGE hassel and a lot of details in a row that kept going wrong. That would really get on ANYONE'S nerves. Well, man that really stinks. You said the head guy wouldn't budge. Does that mean that you still had to pay money or what? Love you! Excited to see you!

Lizzie said...

What a bummer experience. We don't have any experience with Direct TV. Sounds like swell company. I can totally imagine you and Dad when the guy was there setting up.

I still think you should upgrade to DVR. You would love it.

I'm so excited for your trip and so excited that your boss is giving you some time off. = )