Sunday, March 22, 2009

The rest of the story... And a radish!

Well, after we recovered, I called Dish Network and talked about how much it would cost to get new DVR receivers. They said it would cost us $150.00. I tell this to Steve and he says that's the best they would do and I said yes that is what they said. So he calls up Dish and after a couple of people later, he negotiates a deal with them that gives us 2 Free DVR recievers (that works on 3 tvs) and 3 months of HBO, Showtime, and 1 year of Cinemax, for 1 penny. Plus the first year is at a discount, so in the end it is a better deal than we were going to get from DTV, but no ABC still. But we would have paid more over the next two years w/o any of the above if we had left things the same. Steve is the King of negotiations!!!!

Well, I have been trying out winter gardening, now running into spring gardening and it has been interesting. I can see that some things are possible, they will just take longer. Here is a radish that I pulled that was supposed to take 28 days, this one took 44 days. I should have left it a little longer, it was just a little on the small size. I just couldn't wait to see what was happening under the soil. So I will start planting more, accept that it will take longer and that some things will just not work. We don't get enough sun I have decided for some things I tried. I planted beans and they never came up. I planted peas, and they finally came up, but sparsley, so I need to plant wayyyyy more seeds. The lettuce I started under lights and have now transplanted to beds are doing great!!! I am excited to pick some. I am waiting a little longer. I am hoping to be able to pick some before I go to Europe, but if not, hopefully Steve can pick some or Amy and Mike if they come out to visit. Well, I need to make dinner! Love you all!

7 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

now you can watch BIG LOVE on HBO, jk. well, that's cool, love you-

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Sounds great! Good for Steve. We hope you enjoy HBO, I could never find anything to watch. MOm

Megan and Greg said...

Sweet! Free movies! I had no idea Dad was so good at getting things! Wow! I wish I was that way. It's HARD!!!! Cute radish. I think it's so neat you have your green house.

Megan and Greg said...

Oooooooooh yeah. I was looking at Barnes and Noble and they sell every book used online for like $2. So if we got enough books to amount to $25 it's free shipping and is supposed to get to your house within 3 days! So I thought, if we could get it together fast enough, that would save us both SO MUCH money and then we'd both be set and ready to go!!!! Let me know!!!

Danielle said...

hahaha Amy's comment cracked me up. Anyway- what an ordeal. Dad is an awesome negotiator. I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebecca said...

You are going to luuuvvvvvvvv the DVR. I love DVR so much that I get frustrated that I can't rewind the radio!

Are the veggies that you've been growing in the greenhouse?

Love you.

Rebecca said...

So just to be totally clear-the garden is outside? Not in the greenhouse?