Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cool thoughts

I love the Conference issue. It always makes me think, comforts me and guides me. I love the cover this time, isn't it great!!

Anyway, this week I was reading Sis Becks talk and something jumped out at me, "A good woman must constantly resist alluring and deceptive messages from many sources telling her that she is entitled to more time away from her responsibilities and that she deserves a life of greater ease and independence." I am always trying to find a way to have more leisure. People try to tell me all the time that I need to say no to my kids more often. I thought about how when I have been out of town and serving someone, I am constantly thanking Heavenly Father for the energy and strength I have. Then I get home, and of course am tired. My gratitude stops and I want "leisure" time. So I will waste a whole afternoon watching stupid TV shows or some movie I don't really need to watch. Now I truly believe that we need rest and recreation, but "leisure"? I really thought about that. Good rest or hobbies, or recreation is fulfilling, and makes us feel buoyed up and invigorated. The scriptures talk about not being a sloth, about being diligent, not running faster than we have strength, but being diligent. I realized I have been looking at life all wrong. I always want to help my kids and I am going to turn a deaf ear to those that would make me think I should do more for myself. I am a mom, I love it, and I love helping my kids!! If I quit thinking in terms of leisure, but start thinking about being productive, I will get more done, feel better about my life, and I will quit feeling cheated. Again, I truly believe in rest, recreation and hobbies. I know I won't change over night, but I am sure going to work on it!

Today we had a RS Visiting meeting for all the sisters during RS time. It was fabulous. I was reminded of how important it is to be a visiting teacher. Quote after quote was about how being a VT was the most important calling we will ever have at church. Today I truly believed that more than I have in the past. I have always had a testimony of it, but because of coming to this ward, and because of one of the ladies I have been assigned to I really believe it in the core of my being. I want to strive to be a better VT. I made a cool little book for the sisters, I will post it later. I am tired right now.

The sheet rock work is done! Yea!!, Next is paint and tile, then cleaning!!! then the elevator. Love you all!!

8 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

uhhhhhh so glad the sheet rock is done. So wonderful. Great talk- and great thoughts- and very humble of you to share what you want to work on. I wish you didn't have so much going on so you could help me this week, but i know you have alot going on! love you!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I love you Sharon, and you are right about the leisure time thing. I think you are so humble to share what you feel about it. I have faith in your abilities ,you have always been an inspiration to me.I do love the cover on the Ensign this month. Wonderful was what I thought when I saw it. I sent you a bunch or quotes from some of the former prophets wives last night or I think I did. Service is nothing but LOVE and the most important service we will ever do it done within our own families. You will always have enough energy to serve your children when you need to and yes you may be tired when you go home, but then that is the time to study, sew, paint, read, and for you a walk on the beach or work in your greenhouse. People ask me how I read so many books and do the sewing, work some and still manage. I watch only a little TV as you know, I just don't even want the noise sometimes. I love music and I will play that if I want noise. Not that I am a roll model, I think it is important to stop and smell the flowers and ponder sometimes. Enjoy your children and grandchildren while you are still able to serve them and help them, because you never know what tomorrow will bring for any of us. Time is so fleeting and it goes quickly and everyone gets older faster than we want them to including ourselves. I loved all of the times I served all of the family and I still enjoy making things cooking, canning and yes I am tired sometimes, but I had fun doing it. That is what life is about anyway not about leisure time, what memories do we get from that. That is what the world wants, personally I think we all need to do what God wants for us and that is to enjoy every precious moment we have with our families. Didn't mean for this to be a sermon. Hugs I love you mom

Danielle said...

Great post! I love it! Ummmmmm I totally agree about Visiting Teaching. It kinda makes me sad cause in my old wards, I had really really really good visiting teachers that came faithfully each month and stayed as long as I needed them to. For some reason I just always let go and was able to talk about certian things wtih my visiting teachers....and it was so nice and I felt so loved. In my ward now, it took months before my visiting teachers ever came, and when they DID come...they stayed like 10 minutes. I felt so cheated! And they seemed so fake the whole time. Like it was just an assignment, not a visit trying to get to know me. Anyway...I know I should just be grateufl they came at least! I miss you and love you!

Kristi M. said...

I am so glad that you shared your thoughts. A speaker this sunday from the high counsel spoke completely on diligence and that is the key to everything. The topic then came up again in sunday school when we were talking about Joshua. I need to work harder myself on being diligent in all things and to limit my time greatly on the wasteful stuff. Serving is one of the only ways to feel fullfilled and there is no better than your own family. I have finally grasped the importance of VT after a rough beginning and really enjoy it and the ladies that I teach.

Megan and Greg said...

You hit it on the nose with that leisure business. I struggle with the same thing. I never feel better after doing "nothing". Only if I'm TRULY exhausted and have had the MOST productive day. But there's nothing wrong with investing in crafts and hobbies, etc. That doesn't drain you. Good thoughts. I struggle with the same, "I deserve to do nothing!" thoughts and then I make time and suddenly I'm bored and grouchy and my day is RUINED. Being idle is completely different than rest and recreational activities. I'm glad you posted. I've been struggling/realizing this but you really laid it out clearly for me. Thanks Mom! Love you!

Penny Cluff said...

People who say "you need to think more of yourself",when it comes to living these precious moments of life,suffer from the what I call the Oprah Syndrom. You know, ask not what I can do for others, but does this make ME happy. What a blessing to give to others and the greatest gift is always our time, even if it is tiring. I don't know about you, but it takes me a little longer to recupe after a time- consuming service, but what a gift and a blessing to ourselves!

Carol and Bruce said...

You are awesome! I miss you and agree with your thoughts on both subjects.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....