Sunday, December 4, 2011

October before Maddie was born.

I have always wanted to grow pumpkins and have my grandchildren come into my patch and pick out one. Unfortunately my Grand kids live too far away. :-( I also didn't know if pumpkins would grow. So this year I decided to give it a go. I have had two empty beds outside for the last two years. I planted pumpkins in one bed and corn (for decorations again assuming they wouldn't put on ears amazingly they did! ) in the other bed. Well, much to my wondering eyes should appear!? Pumpkins galore!! I knew they wouldn't all ripen in time or get big enough because I planted them late, sooooo I pruned them down to 4 pumpkins. It was so much fun to watch them grow. October came and I was wondering if they would turn Orange in time. We went to a show of Jake's in Portland and I asked Ruby if she would like a part green, part orange pumpkin. She thought that sounded pretty cool. They hadn't bought any yet so I asked them if they wanted them, they said yes. I brought them up to Portland on my way to Amy's.The beginning of my dream coming true! Two years from now when we are back in our house on Idaho Street, I plan on growing a pumpkin patch. I will then get Jake and Lyndsey to bring their chillins down or I will come and get them and have them pick out a pumpkin! Then I will have kids from church come. I'm pretty excited about this! I also will grow corn outside, I never dreamed it would actually produce corn! I used the stalks for my entry, they looked pretty cool!
Another thing I did this year was can lots of Italian tomatoes. The kitchen gets pretty wild but boy is it good. I also canned some zucchini soup. It turned out OK, I think I need to work on that. I also look forward to being down by my greenhouse on a daily basis so my zucchini doesn't get soooo big!One of the things I love about my greenhouse is the perfect environment for peppers!! I got so many this year that I froze some for the winter! Aren't they pretty!?Miles had a b-day in October, sad to say I didn't get to give him his present. I made these fun capes. I had to drop them off on my way to California and Miles wasn't there. Here are his super hero capes! Lyndsey says the one with the M is his favorite.Well it is getting late. Will post some more later! Love you all!

5 comments:

Megan and Greg said...

I was wondering what was going on. My blog kept saying you posted, but you never did. The capes look great! How fun! The pumpkins look cool too. Great idea.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I love those capes! So fun! Did you make those patches? Or buy them? They look so good! I love them! I didn't know your greenhouse produced so many peppers- that's great! That will be so fun to have grandkids and other kids come to your pumpkin patch. I love you.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Well I deleted my comment. I love the pumpkins and the super hero costumes for Miles. I think the squash soup is a good idea and I used to can them with tomatoes onions and a little garlic and a whiff of heat. Then I usually ate it for lunch as Ed hated it. It was really good with cheese on bread. I really enjoyed our visit at Thanksgiving Love you so much Hugs

Danielle said...

The pumpkins look awesome! That sounds sooo fun to have everyone come and pick out a pumpkin, as well as the ward kids! So fun! And of course those capes- awesome. I saw those when you visited. I'm jealous of the canning italian tomatoes thing. Love you!!!!

Lizzie said...

such cute capes!!! i was thinking, instead of a princess dress for kate for her birthday maybe you could make her a harry potter cloak too. that way tanner and kate could play harry potter together. she already has a million princess dresses. i'll have her wear a different one to d.land.

your produce is amazing. i'm so jealous. but you've worked for it. i have 3 big healthy tomato plants outside. lots of green tomatoes a few yellow. we'll see how they turn out! my herbs are wonderful. i use them all the time. i love it. i think i will always have a box of those. and if the tomatoes turn out, then always a box of those. my peppers look pretty, but there are so few of them. and the strawberries ...eh. but it's a start.

your pumpkins are gorgeous. shad and i talked about growing a small pumpkin patch for next year. = )