Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thanksgiving with Mom and Dad

We had a very quiet Thanksgiving. Mom and Dad came and it was very nice. We had a good time. Mom and I worked our little fannies off cooking the day before and the day of. Mom brought a to die for Cheesecake-chocolate-how can you lose with that! I brined my turkey for the first time. I was soooooooo yummy. My dad took one bite and said mmm this is so tender and delicious. Now this wasn't the polite kind this was the react before you can think kind of comment. I was very pleased considering dad usually can't eat anything and react like that unless it is mom's. :-) I tried Chef Brads recipe it worked great. I also cooked it without stuffing for the first time. I loved what it did for the turkey, but will have to work on the stuffing turning out as good. I made two stuffings this year, mine and Chef Brads. Steve said he wasn't to excited about it, but I noticed he had 3 helpings over the two days. It had black quinoa, mushrooms, bacon and lots of other stuff. It was tasty! But again I need to figure out how to make it more moist. I think I cooked it too long. The coolest biggest surprise was the gravy-it was to die for. I did the turkey just like he said, with lots of fresh herbs, a couple of lemons, onions and some carrots. I didn't have to do anything but add thickening to the drippings-it was amazing. I cooked the turkey on a rack (my cooling rack :-) ) for the first time without foil. I was afraid it would make it dry, it didn't. The key was brineing it for 24 hours and taking it out of the oven at 160' instead of 180. I will do it that way again. Steve said I put too much rosemary, that will be hard for me to change, but I will compromise and do half as much, but I will not eliminate it! I also made Chef Brads orange rolls, they were a big hit! Steve wants them again but with more glaze. They had uncooked amaranth in them, I thought I would like them better without it, but Steve really liked it that way. So Thanks to Chef Brad we had a yummier healthier Thanksgiving dinner. It was a great two days. The day after Thanksgiving I put up all my outside lights. It was so much easier than last year. I love them!!! Well that is more than enough for now! love you all!!!!

9 comments:

Danielle said...

Great pictures. Sounds and looks delish! Are you going to do the same kind of turkey for Christmas? That'd be cool. Isn't chef brad the best? Love you!!!!!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

beautiful pics! looks yummy! can't wait for the turkey at christmas! love you!

Chad and Jessica said...

WOW!!! All that food sounds amazing. So many fresh ingredients, that I LOVE.

Lizzie said...

Yum! I need to try brining next year. Great pictures. Love you!

Megan and Greg said...

Cool! I wondered if you would do some chef brad recipes. I'm glad they turned out. I want to do a turkey for xmas eve and brine it too. I better get it figured out quick! I need to buy a bucket. I'm glad you guys had a good time! It was good to hear about it. Excited for christmas!!!!

Megan and Greg said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the last post- those santas really do look funny, like they all gathered to socialize.

Rebecca said...

Hey mom, this is Rebecca, not Anna, she officially has her own account now. Anyway, your stuffing sounds awesome. The pics were beautiful, I'm proud of Dad for giving the stuffing a chance. My husband had a salad with avacados and mangoes last night and said after," That was good, I'm really surprised." They have no idea what they like, they just think they do. Love you.

Aliese the Writer said...

That's so cool that you tried so many things for Thanksgiving. We just had stuffing from the box at my Grandma's. I did get to have left over home made stuffing from Lizzie's. Love you!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I loved the Christmas outfit. Thanksgiving was delicious and fun, quiet but really relaxing and of course we cooked ourselves a lot of food and it is a LOT of WORK. I have sometimes wondered if it is worth all of the effort, then it is devoured in 20 to 30 minutes, but of course we always have a lot of wonderful leftovers. I thought the turkey was perfect,even with the rosemary. Hugs love you looking forward to Christmas.