Monday, December 12, 2011

Spelt

I have had a goal to try all the different whole grains for breakfast. So one at a time I have been putting a new grain in my pressure cooker before I go to bed and cook it up. The next morning is a new adventure. Now it is not a new grain every day, it is more like a new one every week (at least that is my goal, not always a reality!)

I have to say Spelt is so far my favorite! It is totally bland in a pleasant way, but therefore picks up the flavors of the other food and spices in the cereal instead of drowning them out. It has a nice soft texture. I am excited to try it in salad. I will let you know.

Spelt is a super grain meaning it has the 8 essential amino acids (like meat), it is 60% more protein than wheat and contains lots of other good things. I will have a hard time not making it my regular breakfast cereal!! love you all!!

3 comments:

Megan and Greg said...

Bland in a good way- that was just a funny line. I haven't done spelt yet. That's cool. Keep us updated!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

Looks yummy!!!! love you

Aliese the Writer said...

That is such a good goal! It is so hard for me to eat breakfast lately. I am hungry, but I don't want to eat anything we have. I know that is really awful, so I'm working on it. I had no idea that there were so many different kinds of grains! That's so cool! Love you!