Monday, February 11, 2008

Grandma Grace and Agate Surprise

My sweet little Grandma died this morning a little before 7:00am. She was a person that gave and gave. She was the grandma that lived around me most of my life. She made one of my Prom dresses, made a beautiful dress that I wore for my engagement picture, and multitudes of other hand made pillows, a beautiful lap quilt, many pot holders, a large quilt I wore out and I'm sure many other things I have not mentioned. She taught me to crochet, to serve, how to be a grandma. I loved going to her house, she had so many treasures. I loved looking at all her antiques, especially the trinkets. I would look for the things with my name on it. I have her cup that was hers when she was a child. It must have been a tradition in her family to have your own unique cup. She was there for me when I had a teenage heartbreak. I loved her dearly. The last few years were hard for me. I went through times of guilt and finally peace. It was hard to say goodbye over and over again, I am sure I looked callous to my children. I suppose it could have appeared and maybe was selfishness, it was just hard to say goodbye over and over again. I was grateful for the time of being her caretaker when my parents were on their mission. It was a good time for me to have very sacred private moments with her in the hospital when she thought she was going to die. People say things at that time that they don't say at other times. I see her in my mind now in the Spirit World, dancing and singing and laughing. I'm sure she is running and skipping with her sisters. She loved her sisters especially Donna. What a day this has been for her. Then I also see 1000's of spirits come to thank her for all the work she turned into the temple. Since I can remember she has been doing geneology and turning names into the temple. She has certainly earned her spot in the next life. I look forward to the time we are all together without our earthly warts, when we will see each other as we truly are without the baggage we carry around in this earth life. How joyous that will be!

After the news on this glorious day Steve and I went for a walk. First I found a whole sand dollar, which is a rare find on our beach. I said what a nice gift from my grandmother, Steve laughed and I said, "like she has nothing better to do than walk around and find me a sand dollar!" We then found some amazing agates. It was awesome. We were about to give up at first and then I found the biggest agate I have ever found. Steve found the second biggest one for today at the same time. Then we just continued to find them. I know that it will not appear in the pic that they are all agates, but they are. Someday when I get back to tumbling I will have many more beautiful shiny rocks.
The pics don't do the big agate justice, I used an egg to try to have you see the size, but I think it makes it look smaller than it is. Oh well, you will all see it when you come next. After lunch I donated blood. So all in all it has been a wonderful day. I am so very happy for my grandma. What a glorious day for her! I love you all!!!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Isn't it amazing that we can have such a wonderful view of death? I am thinking that Grandma Grace must be very happy right now. She was such a cutie. That agate DID look big mom. I can tell. That is awesome. I love you!!!!

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I'm so glad that it is all over for her and yes I know she is dancing around with her good friend Ruby and her sisters and her own mom. What a wounderful blessing that we know that it is just another phase of our life. It is beautiful on the coast and I think the agate is awesome. We have a couple of big ones from the Dakotas. I love you. It sounds like Cathy, Mike, and Ron are coming. They loved her a lot and she did a lot of Genelogy for them and books also about their dad. I love you Mom.

Megan and Greg said...

That is so random you donated blood. I was just telling a friend how you used to all the time in town and now you probably don't 'cause I didn't know if there was a place close by to donate. I guess I was wrong. That is a great picture of grandma. I forgot she used to look that way. That agate was crazy looking. It is absolutely HUGE!!! Very cool.

Emily said...

I loved all the stories you had to tell about your grandma...it was so sweet. She was the cutest person ever, and so smiley.

Those agates are way cool cool! And very cool that you found a whole sand dollar!

Courtenay Beth said...

What a beautiful tribute to "Grandma Grace" I have memories of her at your house in the summer time, she always had something funny to say, she was so so cute! Certainly a happy day for her!

You are SO good at finding cool rocks/agates! I have always been obsessed with whole sand dollars, I wanted one SO bad all growing up, but never found any...then on our honeymoon I found not one, not two, but THREE on the same day! I told John it was a good omen from the sea blessing our marriage :) Random thought...have you ever seen a video or something of live sand dollars? We went to the Monterey Bay aquarium and there were tons of amazing exhibits, but my favorite was this little exhibit with sand dollars, they really are amazing...you should check it out:)
Anyway, love you!

Lizzie said...

I'm glad you wrote all that Mom. Thank you.