Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggity jig! And a book you must read!

Well, it is always soooo fun to go visit my kids and grandkids, but as I rounded the bend and the ocean popped into view, my heart was ready to be home. I love my hubby, and we have our routine, and routine feels good.

I had a great trip, we had so much fun. Tanner and I made the car cupcakes and vehicle pancakes
twice. The second time we used a yellow cake recipe and I forgot the sugar!!!! Needless to say they tasted like very okay muffins. Even Tanner didn't like those. The bonus is that Lizzie and I weren't tempted at all!!! Plus I hope Lizzie blogs at least one of the pics of the colored cars, because they were gross looking, they looked like playdough, so like Lizzie said it made you not even want to try them! I didn't bring my camera, next time I will! I am more comfortable with my camera. I think that Tanner thought they were cool, and I think most boys would. I think they would be popular for a long time, as the boys got older they would just get more intricate with their decorating. Great party idea!

We sat in the back yard while the kids played in the sandbox, and it felt soooo good. There is nothing quite like warm air moving softly with tropical plants around. The only thing that could have made it cooler is if the citrus was ripe on the trees. Someday....

Kate came to me a lot and that was fun, Lizzie said that wasn't normal for her. I got to see her taking some of her first steps, that was cool. Tanner and I built tower after tower with his blocks. He would pretend to be a monster and chase me around the house. I think I burned a lot of calories, at least I hope.

We went shopping also, have to do that when I'm with Lizzie, cause she always helps me to choose clothes. You'd think at 51 I could do it by myself. I buy clothes on my own more now, but it always helps to have Lizzie's honest and good taste. As Rebecca used to always say, "Lizzie always knows what's coming before it's in!" We also hit Williams Sonoma, have to say one of my favorite stores. I think I finally found my dishes. I don't have china, and have decided to spend a little more than I planned since they will be my "good dishes" and my everyday dishes. They are really beautiful in person. They look really cool with the other white dishes they have in the store, so I can use the other white dishes for the serving pieces. This particular set doesn't come with serving dishes. Because I am going to Disneyland with Rebecca and the girls, I probably won't buy them right away. I'll have to save for these!
The only sad thing this last week was that they were sick, and then I got sick. But at least there were fun distractions. On the way home even though I did everything I was supposed to on the last descent on the second flight I thought my eardrum was going to burst. It hurt and felt plugged until this morning. On the way to California I had a layover in Salt Lake, I knew I had a layover, but never really looked to see how long it was. When I landed I discovered it was
4 HOURS!! When I had little kids at home I would relish layovers, now its just annoying. Because I hadn't planned on that long of a layover, I didn't have enough to read, and I wasn't in the mood to do internet stuff, sooo off to the book store I went. Purusing the books is always a scary propisition. I don't want to spend money on a book that I will have to throw away before I even get very far into it. So I was milling around, and saw a Nicholas Sparks book. I thought, well he is probably safe, so I picked it up. It was non-fiction. I thought that was odd. I read the back and it sounded really interesting. It is one of the more thought provoking, entertaining books I've read in a long time. I want everyone of my kids to read it. It has all the elements of a good read- funny, sad, true, and teaches great life lessons. I think we all look at others and think there life is so easy. I've decided that just isn't true, and this book really teaches that. Also it talks a lot about choice and being too busy. I think it would do me some good to read it over several times! I left it with Lizzie. If you finish it Lizzie I'll pick it up at Easter and loan it out to some of your sibs. Anyway, I was reminded of how much I love to read, and that I need to always have a good book nearby!

Well,it is late and just a note to my kids and their spouses, thanks for fasting as a family for Danielle and Clay. I feel truly blessed to have kids that love and support their family like you all do!!!! I always know I can count on you when I need you! That is very comforting!

Love to all!!!!

9 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Well sounds like you had a great time. HOpefully Lizzie will post some mroe pics. love you!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

oh- the dishes are pretty.

Emily said...

Sounds like a very fun trip! Sorry you got sick though. I bet they were all so glad to have you there to help out and be the fun grandma that you are!

Danielle said...

I am so excited to read that book! I will read that one next. By the way, I'm not so sure I would trust Nick Sparks to be all the way safe. I have read a few of his books and it seems that the earlier books have a couple risque scenes. I don't know if that's how you spell that word, but I think you understand it right? Anyway, I read the Notebook and Message in a Bottle, because I'd read some other ones that seemed okay, and those two were a little scandalous at times. I don't know. I'll let you be the judge. Anyway, I love you and I'm glad you found dishes you like!

Megan and Greg said...

Glad you had a good time. I'm glad your hair turned out. Sorry we couldn't cut it. Being at the coast made me want to visit soon. Maybe Spring Break?! That would be 3 weeks. I could bring my scissors.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I'm glad you're home. Isn't it great, I love to go but as Dorthy says"there's no place like home" I know you had a great trip and enjoyed everything and everyone. We have to make plans to go to the Temple. The dishes look great or they china or stoneware? The Nick Sparks books I agree with Danielle some are great and some a little bit not so great. I have read most of his. I used to like John Grishom some great and really some not. Sooo I really screen books now no matter who writes them, unless they are classics and I keep reading them over. Glad to hear you went shopping. Sharon, did you ever think that the most wonderful gift you ever gave to your children was each other??? They are so good to each other and love each other so much. Love Mom

Rebecca said...

Pretty dishes. I love them. They are more traditional looking, I like that.

Lizzie said...

I'm so glad you decided on these. You love them. It's about time you got some dishes that you love. = ) Thanks for coming. I love you so much.

Not quite the Bradys said...

Those dishes are beautiful.