Monday, May 5, 2008

JaneEyre, Suggestions, New dishes and Life



I can't believe it has been over a week since I blogged. I think it was because I was so slothful there was nothing to blog about. I was reading, watching TV, and knitting. I made myself wash clothes do the dishes, cook most of the meals, exercise, read scriptures, work a little on my church calling and get dressed. But it was work to make myself do that!!!

The pics you see above are in my greenhouse, they haven't been watered or attended to at all this winter. Isn't that amazing. I had to post them. I am about to pull up the red one. Sad I know. The purple on is now going on its 3rd year! It will be interesting to see how many years it will live. I am going to work in the green house today, I bought some plants and compost on Saturday.

I finished Jane Eyre, a great read! I was going to write my blog in Charlotte Bronte's writing style, I kind of wish I had. It only would have been funny to Rebecca. If you had all read Jane Eyre, it would have been fun. They use such big words and words we don't even use today. Then add to it she is from England I think or at least her people are. I think the first time I read that book I was in middle school. I loved it. I think I read it again when I was a young married person, I loved it again, now in my more mature (HA) years and I loved it again!

I have taken a step forward in my life. I have observed it since I have been knitting. Most of my life I have felt like if I didn't do something perfect I was going to get in trouble, or I wouldn't even do it if I couldn't do it perfect. I realized I had this problem and would make jokes about it, but none the less the problem was still there. Welllll, since I have been knitting if something isn't working our right I just rip it out and start over. It hasn't bugged me at all. I mentioned this to a friend and she said, don't you do that with sewing? I thought yea, but I have never really been afraid in the sewing room. Then I really thought about it and I think several things have helped me to change in this area (not that it is mastered, but huge steps forward). When we built the greenhouse, it was such a new world, I would be afraid to plant in it because I didn't know what I was doing. I would get all paranoid about disease and insect infestation. Steve finally said to me more than once, who cares if you have to pull up a plant or several? I thought about that and finally realized that we wouldn't starve to if all the plants failed. I needed to look at this as an adventure. I think that idea spilled over to other area's of my life. I found myself not getting so worked up about things and figure I will just do the best I can and that is good enough. This is exciting to me! I think the more I venture out that maybe I will conquer this one!!!

Last week I taught my first lesson for my additional calling in our branch. I am teaching the 4th Sunday in RS. It was so much fun. I love teaching. It also makes me feel a part of the branch again. One of the drawbacks of a stake calling is you feel like you don't belong anywhere. I am going to teach a class in enrichment soon on Nutrition and Fitness. I am excited about that. I think I am going to tell my weight loss story, I think it will give me more creditability. I am going to keep it really simple. If you have any suggestions as to what you would want most in that setting let me know it is one week from tomorrow.

Saturday night I bought my dishes over the phone!!!! We are going to pick them up on the 16th. We have a branch temple trip that day. I am excited. I bought 3 sets and 4 soup/pasta bowls. It turns out that you have a choice of the cereal bowls or the pasta/soup bowls. I was so excited about that, it appeared on line that you could only get the pasta/soup bowls with the set. We chose the cereal bowls, which we thought we would have to buy as an extra, it saved us a lot of money and plus now I will have what I need and not all these extra pasta/soup bowls that I won't use. I know I won't use all the cups and saucers except on a rare occasion, but I know they will get used so it is worth is to have them. The sets are so much cheaper than buying them individually.

Well, my screen is blinking so we think I had better spend my day backing up things. I have a call into Dairn about whether this is sign of my computer getting ready to crash or what. But if my computer is going to crash, I need to get some pictures backed up on discs. I was reading in the Costco magazine that there are these gold discs that last a lot longer than regular CD's. I wish I could go to costco and get those today! I will have to just use my regular ones and then transfer them to the good ones later. Well, love you all!!!

9 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

that's nice that you have made those realizations. I'm glad you enjyoed teaching. That is so cool that yoru plants just grew on their own! Your greenhouse looks so cool with the things you have in there- it looks like a magazine. Really cool. I'm excited for your dishes. I've never read janeeyre. love you.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I love Jane Eyre however it has been many years since I have read it. Maybe I'll read it this summer. I take it your dishes are your mother's day present???? Or do you get something else? I am glad your perfection syndrome is going, I think a lot of these realizations come as we mature. I know I don't even care about a lot of things I used to be so particular about. Your green house looks great, I wish I could plant the red petunia it is wonderful. I love you Mom

Danielle said...

...."I was reading, watching TV, and knitting. I made myself wash clothes do the dishes, cook most of the meals, exercise, read scriptures, work a little on my church calling and get dressed."

Sorry mom, but that sounds like a perfectly fine day to me! Getting all that stuff done is very good! In my opinion anyway. Sheesh.

I love your flowers in the greenhouse! They are so pretty:)

I really am excited to read Jane Eyre. It sounds wonderful.

I like your realizations. I don't know that I've had that problem. Maybe with school a little, but I usually am pretty pleased with my imperfect curtains and imperfect homemade cards. Maybe it's just that I'm too lazy to start over? Probably.

I sent you a mothers day present- it is wrapped inside the package, but not taped. So be careful when you take it out. I wrapped it at the post office and didn't realize if I needed tape I'd have to BUY IT! Yikes. Anyway- I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Megan and Greg said...

Those flowers are SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE THEM!!!!! Glad you read a good book, that's always fun. Harry Potter has been calling my name. Glad you're learning lessons in life. Thats always good. I love you. I want to visit every other weekend when school gets out. I hope that's not too much. If it is you can say so. I'm starting to freak out about not seeing anyone for over a year (unless people visit). ThAT'S all. I love you!

LeAnn said...

I loved the greenhouse pictures--those flowers are beautiful! It's fun catching up with you on the blog. I miss you.
LeAnn

Rebecca said...

Those flowers are gorgeous. It's good to accept you're not perfect. I finally am that way with the scrap book I'm doing for disneyland. I hated scrap booking before because it had to be perfect, so I never did it. But the trip was so important to me I decided to do it and accept it wouldn't be perfect. What a relief! Love you.

Lizzie said...

Those flowers are incredible. I actually try to grow something and it doesn't grow. You don't even try and it grows. = )

Patty said...

Your plants are so lovely. I think it would be great to have a green house. I might have to think about that since I do not have a garden spot. Have a great week. bye now. Patty

Danielle said...

Mom do you realize it's may 22? You posted this post on may 5. That's like...17 days. HELLO!!!!!!!