Sunday, April 4, 2010

Letting Go, Ruby and Miles, Easter and other things

Over the last few weeks I have let go of so many things. It has been hard, but I think I am "rounding the bend" as they say. The first thing I gave up was gum. I know you are all laughing. But, I was chewing 3 pieces at a time about 5 or 6 times a day. I was starting to feel like my body was filling up with chemicals. I also was starting to get my head together in the weight dept. and I felt like the gum was just prolonging me facing why I need sugar after I eat a meal or whenever I am stressed. I realized how much I was chewing and how addicted I was when all I could think about was wanting gum for several weeks.

About a week later I decided it was time I gave up Greys Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and the Office. I couldn't sleep one night and I was mad that I couldn't sleep. I had just finished an episode of Greys Anatomy, and was tossing and turning in bed. It was about 12:30 am. I decided to turn on the light and read a conference talk since I hadn't read my scriptures that day. As I read I started pondering on the direction my life had been going. I decided it was time to give up the things that were taking up so much of my time and thoughts. I realized, I hadn't done my visiting teaching, hadn't worked on my calling at all, and that I still had lots of things to unpack. On top of that as we all know those aren't the best shows on earth. I turned on the TV and deleted my DVR schedule for those shows, then the next day deleted off of the TV upstairs also. On one hand I felt relieved, on the other hand I could feel the withdrawals big time. It took me probably about 2 weeks to be really glad and not miss them. Today when we were turning on the TV to watch conference Greys was on the channel that the TV was on and I have to tell you it felt like someone had punched me in the stomach it was weird. I felt like I had to hurry and put something else in my mind quickly. I was glad it was conference time.

Then last but not least, I had been pondering seriously the fact that I reached my goal weight 5 and a half years ago, but have never been able to maintain it. I asked myself some serious questions about how I felt about it and really prayed about it. I realized that for me Heavenly Father really cares. I don't know why for sure, I just know I am supposed to be as healthy as I can and weigh 5 pounds below my goal weight and learn to maintain it. I think it is a combination of feeling good about myself emotionally, and being at an optimum healthy weight, and being able to speak from experience to my WW members. The other thing that has become very clear to me recently is that Heavenly Father really wants me to teach WW's. I realized that I am good at being a WW leader and that I help people regain their health back. At Conference today I was greatly impressed by how much Heavenly Father loves ALL of us, therefore if I can help people be healthy and be a light in a very dark place, it is very important.

After I came to this realization I also realized that I could only handle treats twice a week. So that was hard too.

When I got to the point that I was really serious, Lizzie called me up and asked me if I would like to check in with each other every night, I said ABSOLUTELY. It has been an answer to my prayers. I am amazed at how much of a difference it is to check in with Lizzie. We give each other encouragement, ideas and pep talks. We remind each other that we are doing good, and not to beat up on ourselves. I just can't say enough how good it has been for me. Then coincidentally, if you believe in coincidences the topic for this week that I was to use in WW's was on the importance of WW buddies. I was able to really tell them what a difference a buddy can make. It was great.

Well, onto the next subject, I had a meeting in Portland last weekend and Jake and Lyndsey are getting ready to move, so I took Ruby and Miles home with me for 3 nights. We had a good time. We cooked, sewed, and played games. We made pancakes of course, Ruby's favorite food, and bug cupcakes. I wanted to do Bunny cupcakes,but I lost the vote. Ruby's "fuzzy" a blanket that is fuzzy and silky, is getting so small, so I said lets make a new one. She sits on my lap and sews with me. I actually let her do a little on her own. I told her when she turns 6 I will let her sew all by her self, with me at her side of course. I will put the pedal on a box , put the machine on slow speed and let her truly learn to sew. If I know Ruby, when she turns 6 she will be calling me or telling her parents its time to go on a date. A date to Ruby means that she comes to our house or her other grandparents.

The Greenhouse. Every Thursday after WW's, I go to our old house on Idaho Street and work in my greenhouse. It has been a wonderful thing. It is a cell phone free zone. It is me and my music, or a book on tape, and my plants. I have beans coming up, lettuce coming upbefore and after, and garlic. Of course my herbs that are always growing. It really has been a wonderful escape. I am hoping this summer it works to only go out once a week, if not I will just go another day also. I will really miss going out right before dinner and picking fresh produce, but at least I can go once or twice a week.

The Elevator. Welllll.....the carpenters came and ripped up part of Steve's office and the broom closet and framed in a bathroom. The old bathroom is where our elevator is going to go. It will stop on 3 floors, the garage, downstairs, and the top floor. Poor Steve's office got smaller It will be great. They also framed in a spot for my extra fridge where the dumb waiter used to be in my pantry. As soon as the plans come in the carpenters will come back and make the elevator shaft. The plumbers were here for two days making a huge mess plumbing in the new bathroom. Right now we don't have a bathroom upstairs, but hopefully in a month or so we will have an elevator, and new bathroom, my fridge in the pantry and our two freezers in the garage! Yea! Right now my extra fridge and one freezer is in the shop. Remember where we live, it rains, not fun to go get food out in the dark rainy night. But I feel blessed to have them.

This weekend I decided to get flowers for Easter, I have loved them. I also decided to try some new recipes that Lizzie told me about. She found this cool site where a girl that has lost her weight on WW's has posted a ton of recipes with all the points values. I tried 3 of her recipes and they were a huge hit with everyone. Now keep in mind I had Amy and Mike, Megan and Greg, and my husband. These are not dieters, they loved all the food. She uses real food and Steve's reaction was "this is like the salads in restaurants!" Pretty cool! I also made a very tasty low cal potato salad, again with real food. It was so fun. We put the salad plates on top of the regular plates and served the salad and freshly made bread first, then took those plates away and served the rest of the meal. It was delicious and fun. I didn't take pics though, I am kind of sad about that. Oh well, next time.

Here is my wall of pics! The one pic you can't see is Lizzie's Family pic, eventually I will get that cool lens that Lizzie has and hopefully I won't have the flash problem!!Here are a few close upsI will post the visit of Ruby and Miles pics later, I am tired.
Love you all!!!!

7 comments:

Danielle said...

I love the frames! They look amazing! I love the arrangement, the color, the pictures, everything! Except of course the picture you picked of me and Clay. I know I look very happy, but not the prettiest:) Next time...we will have to take a different one:) Good post. Thanks for your comment on my blog about being righteous for wanting a baby so bad. It made me feel good. I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lizzie said...

Wow. I LOVE the frames. I absolutely love the color you picked. It looks so great! It's the perfect color of red and looks awesome on the wooden wall. Those kind of collages are hard...you did a really good job. It looks perfect.

I'm so glad we're ww buddies. It has helped me tremendously. I'm pretty sure I would've given up that first or second week. Then started back up, and continued the yo-yo. It's so nice to be on, and stay on...which is working because of you.

Good for you, canceling your shows.

Love you.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

You have been through alot lately. You're really brave and strong ot do it all- I love you!

Megan and Greg said...

Dinner was delicious, Mom. Thank you. It's ok to grieve things that are bad for you. Remember in highschool when you found out about all my immodest clothing and asked me to throw them out. I loved those clothes. I knew they were bad, but I still loved them and I cried and cried and cried bagging them up and I seriously grieved over them. I understand. I really like your theme for the pics. Oh yeah, WW. You are such a good teacher. You teach with feeling and emotion that really reaches to your audience. So I think it's good for you and good for them. I think you should always do it.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I think the picture wall looks really great! I have a really hard time with the TV watching, as I gave it up so long ago and really never started to watch it again. I used to watch a lot of TV when I was younger, just don't now. We watched Sherlocke Holmes tonight. It was good, and we watched the Blind Side the other day at the dollar movie, and it was great. I am glad you and Lizzie are WW buddies, and it is so good for you both. I look forward to seeing pics of Ruby and Miles. So fun that you are teaching her to sew. Much love mom

Not quite the Bradys said...

I love the frames! I am amazed you got them all to match up so well. good job! What is the recipe website? I would LOVE to check it out. I am really tired of the WW cookbook I have. Proud of you for cancelling the shows too. That is the Sharon I love. :)

Rebecca said...

We already talked about the shows. I'm still so happy for you, proud of you. But the gum. Wow, I'm really impressed with that. Great post. Thanks for all of the photos.

I love your picture wall. I really love the picture of Aliese from behind sitting on the sand, tilting her head. I want a wall like that!!!I also want a greenhouse!!! Maybe someday...Love you.