Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Help!!


Well, Steve and I went out to dinner tonight and started to talk about his b-day and mothers day. We decided what we wanted, I am excited about his present as well as mine. He is going to get another ocean crab cage!!! Yummy, that means big crabs during the off season!!! He told me he will match me dollar for dollar for my new dishes!!!! Yea for me, I will get them a lot faster that way. Sooooo my need of help. I am trying to figure out how many to get. They are going to be my everyday and good dishes. The set comes with the above pieces. Which is way cheaper than buying them separately. The only thing that is near the same price separately is the salad plates. Sooooo as I write this I am thinking I should just get sets even though I don't need the same amount of saucers and cups as the rest or pasta bowels for that matter, or do I? I was thinking that it would be nice to have at least 14 place settings because I have 6 children, and if they all came it would be nice maybe to have nice plates for them at a nice meal. Or would I really use the real dishes or just paper. If that is the case 12 would probably be plenty for when a family or company comes. Or since I am planning on keeping these for a long long time, maybe I should just get 4 sets and the cereal bowls and gt it over with. Ahhhhggggg!!! Tell me what you think! I will have to buy serving bowls and platters from different dishes that coordinate, because they don't have serving pieces, bummer. Well, I am sure I am making much to much of this, but I am not going to do this soon again. So tell me what you think!?

4 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Well, I think you should get the huge set like you said the 14 or 12 whatever the number was. The cups and saucers, the cups you'll use for hot chocolate when everyone comes over, and the saucers can be bread plates depending on how they are, or little desert plates. I'd get everything, if it's cheaper to get all of it, then you're basically getting the cup and saucers for free even though you don't care for them, so it doesn't matter, they're basically free. Just get all of it. And then you'll have extra plates for serving the food. love you-

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I agree with Amy, I think you should get the whole 4 sets and even one extra, as you would have plates and small plates to serve on. Besides you never know how long they will have open stock, so you would have back up. The cups and saucers will get used. You could even serve berries etc in the cups. Things like apple crisp can be served in cups and custards and suffles can be cooked in them. I saw that on Martha Stewart once. Beans are another just think about it and it will come to you. Love Mom

Sarah Peterson said...

I think I know where Amy gets her personality from... I could have sworn I was reading her blog and not yours!!

Lizzie said...

Well, well, it's a tough decision. I'm not being sarcastic either. This is something that would stress me out too. I understand wanting to get enough for the whole family, but I just don't know how often that would happen. If I were you, I wouldn't think of that part of it. We have all been married for 2 years now and the next 2 reunions are not going to be at the beachhouse, so I just don't know how realistic it is. Also, if it did, we did have a big dinner, kids would be there too, and maybe Grandpa and Grandma, so we'd probably use paper. That being said, think about your branch. You would probably use that many more often with your Relief Society sisters. Or, when you have weight watcher couples/people over. Although, now that I'm saying all this, I CAN imagine maybe a couple of your children's family's being there at a time and you'd want enough for Sunday dinner for all of us plus kids. Maybe do just what amy said and buy 12 or 14. Although, if it costs more at all, to have the mugs and saucers, I wouldn't do it. Spend the money on extra dishes you will use. If you are actually cooking for 14 people, most likely you are not going to be making individual desserts in 12 saucers. Hope all this makes sense. Bottom line, get as many as dishes the most you would use, plus a few extra for breakage, but don't worry about cups and saucers as much.