Sunday, October 5, 2008

Last of Ruby and Miles visit, and Conference

Well, I am going to start with conference. I have been very moved so far, and I am sure this afternoon will be just as good. I noticed one theme that came up several times was unity. I have had this on my mind a lot. As I have striven to have a relationship with all my siblings I have pondered how to keep this from ever happening in our family. I hope that you will all read those talks and especially the one from Pres. Eyering (I know I spelled that wrong). I hope we will all strive to let unimportant things not be important in our lives where each other is concerned, and that pride will not be important, and that we will overlook petty comments made unintentionally. That we will always remember how much we love each other, and that when someone says or does something that we don't understand we will choose to think the best of that person, and assume that they are having a bad day or just don't understand where we are at in our lives. I love you all so much!!! I am so grateful to have such wonderful children, in-law children, and grandchildren.

I was also moved by Elder Ballard's talk about turning the other cheek, praying for our enemies, and that meekness is not weakness. He used the Savior during his trial and crucifixion as an example. Steve mentioned that that is exactly what Lizzie and Shad did during this last couple of weeks.

I loved Pres Monson's talk on Joy in the Journey. I have tried to do that more. Remembering that opportunities with my grandchildren especially are few and fleeting. How grateful I am that I have the means to be with them and that you all share them so willingly with your dad and I.

Well, the continuing story of the last part of Ruby and Miles visit. We played on the beach, watched movies and continued to get to know Miles more every day. He is a very mild mannered sweet little boy. I look forward to getting to know him even more as he grows older. I remembered how hard it is to read scriptures when you are a young mother. I had a couple of days where I knew if I didn't read my scriptures I would do something I would regret! So I ran to the room when I had a second, prayed and begged Heavenly Father to lead me to a scripture that would help me. I opened the Book of Mormon to the assignment for the week and there within the first two scriptures was the scripture I needed. Tears welled up in my eyes, I got down on my knees and thanked Heavenly Father and then asked him to bless me with a happy heart. I was instantly rewarded. I then went on with my day having read just two scriptures. I am grateful for years of experience to tell me that Heavenly Father was pleased with my 5 min of scripture study and prayer for that day. There are other days for long hours of journaling, pondering, praying and reading of the scriptures. The Lord understands our capabilities and is pleased when we do all we can. I think Satan is good at guilt, we need not heed him.

I am grateful for the opportunity we had to babysit on many levels, I appreciate my life more!! I feel closer to Ruby and Miles.

Here we go with more pics! I finally figured out that Miles was much happier with us (no duh!)I took Miles out for the first time, he had just woken up and wasn't too excited about it.After a while he got more excited about it.Beautiful RubyFinally he has to taste it!Amy came towards the end of the week and saved us. She was amazed I could keep up with them! She couldn't quite keep up with the pace, but it was a true blessing to have a break now and then!Of course there eventually has to be a burial!Miles was standing more than crawling and wanted us to hold his hands so he could walk, especially on the beach. I wish I had a pic of that!Always having fun!It was great fun! I was exhausted, but there is no better tired than grandma tired.

4 comments:

Grandma, Nonnie said...

What a nice time you had, and I am glad. Ruby and Miles looked happy and Ruby will remember these times. I loved Conference and I really loved the talks about unity and what pres Munson said. What a great man, he is so spiritual. Did you hear bro Urtdorph (MSP) when he spoke at women's conf? If not you need to read it when the mag. comes out. I loved that talk. We missed Sat afternoon so will have to read those. Had a great time!!! Love you so much Mom ps don't forget to invite me to you know who's blog.

Lizzie said...

Miles and Ruby are so cute!!!! I love her pushing him in the grocery cart and when they're on the counter cooking. Thanks for posting pics of them.

Thanks for this post. It was really good. We watched conference all weekend, but of course I didn't get to see/hear as much as I would've liked. It was good to just read you summarize a few talks. President Monson's talk about enjoying the journey got cut off on our cable. It has happened in the past too, with President Hinckley's talks. Conference will be perfect, until the Prophet talks and then the cable cuts out. Weird, isn't it. I'll have to look that one up online. Thanks for the candle info. I did see them at Costco, and wanted them, but I feel like I have so many decorations right now piling up in my house and I really need to place things before I buy more things. (I'm trying at least) = )

Love you!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

"Amy came towards the end of the week and saved us. She was amazed I could keep up with them! She couldn't quite keep up with the pace, but it was a true blessing to have a break now and then!" Oh my gosh mom, all I did from the second I walked in there was play with them! How did I not keep up with the pace?!

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, when did you post this? So fun and cute. I'm so glad you posted!