Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The goats are here





That is not a misprint, we have two Nigerian dwarf goats. After a week of Steve studying the internet, we decided that one dwarf goat would be all that we would need for the size of our property. But then we learned that you can't have one goat, goats need company. After more research and searching to see if we could even find some, Steve started to get discouraged. That lasted an afternoon and then he decided he still wanted some. We will only have to supplement them with hay in the winter and not that much. They are cuter than heck. The one I am holding is the doe (little girl goat), the one that Steve is holding is a wether (castrated boy goat). Even though he is snuggling up to Steve, he is actually not very friendly yet. He is scared of us still. We are going to keep going out and holding him and trying to get him to warm up to us. The girl on the other hand has been literally snuggly since the first night. They already tried to get out of the fence. We made a temporary pen until we can fence in our property. Steve butted it up to the neighbors fence, the holes in his fence are bigger than ours. Sure enough this morning they started to go through and the girl made it through before we caught her. It was pretty scary for a second, I ran into my greenhouse to put my camera down and when I got back into the pen, she jumped back into me. Now the poor little creatures are inside the kennel thing until we can put up new fencing up against the neighbors fence. They love to climb and jump as you can tell by the pic. Well, it is going to be an experience!! We are now in the livestock mode! HA! HA! Who would have ever thought!! We are thinking of calling the boy patch. Any opinions? ( I actually do wear makeup and wear clothes other than my workout clothes)

10 comments:

the splendid life of us... said...

Oh, they are soooo cute! Will they stay that small, since they are dwarf goats? Both pictures of you two holding them are really cute, the little girl goat looks like she likes posing for the camera. Congrats on your new additions!

Danielle said...

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE THEM! I am sitting by myself in my apartment, and I couldn't help it...the second I saw the picture, I said OUT LOUD...'Oh my gosh...those are the cutest things Ive ever seen'. I'm not kidding! I love them! I think they are adorable. I can't wait to see them in person! That is so funny that the girl is so snuggly! You and dad are so cute holding them! Congratulations. Love You!

Danielle said...

I forgot...I LOVE the name patch! I definitely like that. You can name the girl Danielle if you like. ha..ha...just kidding. .....

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH my gosh! I love them! They are so cute!!!! Will they grow or stay small? I love them so much! I can't wait to hold one. I love the pictures of you guys holding them, I have never in my life seen dad hold an animal nor interact with one at all. I love it! I really like Patch. You should choose the second name to go really well the Patch. Thanks for the compliment, I needed it, I haven't been feeling cute lately. I love you!

Emily said...

Uh...those are the cutest things I've ever seen. I love goats...have you had them suck on your hands yet? It's an interesting feeling. I'm so happy for you guys, and those pictures are SO cute!!

Steve/Dad/Grandpa said...

I'm glad you like our dwarf goats. They are even cuter in person. The little brown doe (girl) never stops talking. Just like humans. The little boy, patch, hardly ever says a word. Also just like humans, (but with a few notable exeptions). This tiny breed of goat originated in west Africa. Believe it or not, the little brown doe is a dairy goat. If she were ever bred and had a little "kid" she could then be milked. One of these little goats will give up to a half gallon of milk a day. I figure that because I work to provide fish for the dinner table, that Sharon's job can be to milk the goat. Because I was raised on a dairy farm I can "train, instruct, and supervise" Sharon in her milking chores. That should go over really big. Hey my mind is just getting started. I think Sharon can also make some goat cheese. And of course she can shear them in the spring and sew us up some nice goat hair clothes.
Love you all,
Dad

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Hahahahaha- You're exactly right dad, it's about time mom starts contributing to the family. Not to mention it's not like it's that big of a deal to make 6 wedding dresses or 20 formal prom dresses out of FABRIC purchased from a store. It's about time she starts making her own fir fabric, and make you some clothes out of goat hair. Maybe she could even make you some goat hair suspenders.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Hey Steve, Mike here. I'm seeing a different side of you all warmed up and cuddly with the goats. It makes me feel happy inside.haha. Amy was telling me about how you said there are soo many ways to take advantage of all the goats have to offer. I think that's a great idea! Maybe you could even make Patches first mate for captain Steve out on the high seas."Patches the swashbuckln' Halibot wrangler." ARRRGGG! Matey.

Ben & Diane said...

I think you should name the boy Billy,haha....I know, I'm retarded
Diane

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

thanks Diane!! You nut!

Sharon