Saturday, June 30, 2007

Named the Goats and a Scary Goat day

Well, today we decided on the goat names for sure, the little boy is Patch, and the little girl Piper. Brenley gave us the suggestion because Steve mentioned she talks a lot. Yells would be more like it. Every time they see Steve or think they are going to see him they start baaaing. Its pretty funny. I had a huge scare today. I was talking to Danielle on the phone and making our dinner, I needed to go out to the greenhouse to get some chives. On my way out the door I see our neighbor carrying Piper. I about had a heart attack. My mind could see her out on the highway. She got out under the fence and was over by our neighbors that never used to talk to us until we got Georgetta, and started baaaing. Thankfully Piper is friendly and Betty Ann our neighbor could catch her. Well, since Piper is a jumper, I didn't know how she got out. The hard part of the story is that Steve was out Tuna fishing. I put her in the pen and then waited to see what she would do, she wasted no time. Her little nose was trying to nudge up the fence. I hurriedly put my foot on the fence and then tried to get into the pen to catch her. The whole time this is going on Patch is sitting in their house very unconcerned. After a while he came out and started eating. So I picked up Piper carried her to the house where I got my keys so I could open the garage door with my garage door opener in the car. I didn't want to carry her all the way in the house to get to the garage, for fear she would go to the bathroom in the house. Then I had to climb with Piper in my arms over Steve's junk, a very dangerous proposition, to get to the tent pegs out of our emergency kit(thankfully I had that in the garage, I can't imagine carrying her into our house, up the stairs and opening our attic stairs to get the tent pegs out of the attic. One more reason to have a three day emergency kit in your garage). I then took her back out to the pin and pounded stakes into the ground through the fence. I went out to check on them all day. Well, after dinner Steve decides to go out and check on them, they had been calling him. What does he see, shes over visiting with the neighbors! We took her back to the pen and searched for a hole. We can't find one so we put her in her pen and watch her. Well the little jumper takes a running start and jumps almost over the fence. We knew then that she could jump the fence. Well, by now it is 8:30 at night. Remember we live in the sticks. Everything in our town is closed, and Fred Meyer in Newport is a half hour away and it is going to get dark soon. So we cut up an old belt, made a collar out of it, attached a rope to the collar and to two cinder blocks. An hour later we have her tied up. We used a very thick rope about 3/4". Monday Steve will have to build a taller fence!! On the internet they said all we would need is a 4 foot fence, not so with our little jumper Piper.

8 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

That is so funny! The goats are your kids now! It's so funny, because you need to watch them, and keep them out of trouble! I think it is so funny that Piper is the one so jumpy, and Patch is just laying around, you'd think it'd be the opposite. I really like Piper, and I like that they both start with P. Are you going to build some little things for her to jump over for fun in the pin? I can't wait to see them!

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

They say you're supposed to have things for them to play with, so we have a chair out there and a step stool. We'll probably put a ball out there too.

Danielle said...

Haha. Oh dear that is funny. But scary too! I laughed when you said 'the image of her on the highway came..' because that is just like a child. But, that would be horrifying! You both have gotten attached to them within the first day! Well, I suppose you will need the taller fence! I am so excited to meet them. Patch sounds funny. Just lounging around while piper is going crazy. How fun. I love you!!!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh I love your goats and I haven't even seen them. The names you chose are adorable and the image of Piper jumping all over the place has me cracking up! How cute!

the splendid life of us... said...

I was cracking up all the way through this post, and could just imagine all the mayhem. But I bet it wasn't so fun while it was all happening. As my grandmother used to say..."It's alot funnier now then it was back then!"

the splendid life of us... said...

Oh! And I am glad that you liked the name Piper enough to use it. It sounds like she will definitly live up to her name.

Megan and Greg said...

The goats are SO CUTE!!! I think it's exciting. We miss you guys.

rose said...

how fun! you guys have to have some kind of excitement around there! my aunt & uncle in washington just rented some goats to clear some of their acreage. they said it worked great, and my cousins loved to see them. now my uncle wants some, but my aunt says no. they already have a dog, ducks, chickens and fish. plus they have 2 bears, elk, deer and a cougar that hang out around their property, so a goat would be good lunch for someone. i hope you don't have to worry about that. piper will just jump over what's trying to get her anyways!