Sunday, October 28, 2007

Yea!!!! The Garage is Done (for now)


Well, Saturday night at 7:30 I started taking pictures. I thought I would never get done. It is all the little screws, nails and etc. that takes so long!!!!! For those of you that never saw our garage before, (I forgot to take a before pic) we have lived in this house for 4 years and 2 months. During that time I have been able to park in my garage on two different time periods that didn't last long. Our garage has never been empty enough to park both vehicles. One day we decided we must think our garbage and crap is worth more than our vehicles. Here on the coast things rust very rapidly, and our precious garbage got to be protected for 4 years while our cars have slowly started to rust.

I am posting a lot of pics but it took me a long time and I need to post the finished product! It may look still crowded, but we took two loads in Steve's Forerunner to the dump, one full load in the back of my van full of stuff to St Vinnies, and one full van load to the recycling. Not counting the stuff that cluttered and is still cluttering our kitchen, and the stuff that went into the attic. Anyway Steve helped me one day, the other 3 days were just me.

The for now statement is because now that we can actually get to our 72 hour pack, I am going to go through it. We would have about killed ourselves if we had tried to get to it before. Also I am going to go through our food storage and improve it. Plus I am going to go through my baking shelves and organize them better!!

For my family you are probably wondering what the white things are beside the freezer and refrigerator. When we purchased our Newport Vacation Rental we had these cupboards we took out of the craft room , we brought them home to put in a shop for Steve. Then we decided that we didn't need a shop and so I said I wanted to put them in our garage. Steve screwed them into the wall, and I put the doors on and filled them up.
As you can see I still have lots more room!! Yea for me.
we have actually moved the coolers to the other side now and moved the garbage can over to this wall. You know how it is, once you start to use it, it becomes obvious what works and what doesn't.

the back pack and stuff above is our 72 hour pack. If we can drive out we will take a bigger tent and our stove. If we have to walk out we have a back packing tent attached to the pack and a backpacking stove. I will carry the sleeping bags. I am grateful for the 10 years of 4th year hikes!!!
I don't know if you can tell, but I drilled holes in the wood that this saw was attached to and then put screws in the wall so we could hang our chop saw, cool huh!!?
This is the inside of Steve's, shop/closet. The pic on the left is for tools, it is so great to be able to find tools w/o ourselves!! The shelf to the right is one of his fishing shelves the pic below is for more fishing supplies, look at the empty space, Christopher Lowell would be proud!

Now the pic on the left is the wall , I hung up all the life preservers up high since he doesn't use these as often.
And now for the finished goal!!! tight quarters, but we did it!!!!

3 comments:

Lizzie said...

Wow Mom. You must go in there all the time now to just stare. That's what I did with my food storage closet for a couple of weeks and now I am doing it with the playroom. The garage looks amazing and it looks like it took a lot of work!!! Can't wait to see it in person. I love how you hung the saw.

Danielle said...

Mom it looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD! I am so proud of you! I can't believe it! I KNOW that you had to work way hard. You deserved those 3 days of rest! My goodness! All the cupboards and shelfs- and the hung up saw, I love it. I understand now why Dad likes to go and stand out there. This might sound funny, but when I looked at the pictures I just kept thinking, "cool!". I think your garage is cool. haha, I love you!!!! You did SUCH a good job. I really think it will stay clean now.

Jenni.Woodmansee said...

It looks beautiful!! I"m so impressed!!! it seriously sounds like it was not an easy task, but I'm convinced that you can conquer anything! great work!