Sunday, November 4, 2007

Epiphany, Humanitarian Aid, Ever Changing weather, and Confession

Epiphany:

For those of my daughters that skim, I would really like you to read this part. (anyone else is welcome to read also) Yesterday I was pondering on my fast for today. It was early in the day I was getting ready to study my scriptures. I usually don't think about my fast that early in the day, but it was on my mind. I gathered my scriptures and realized I had already read the Sunday School lesson scrips, so I thought what shall I read. Goodie, the Book of Mormon. One of the frustrations of scriptures is that we are supposed to read the SS lesson, and some prophets say we should be always reading the Book of Mormon, plus we are supposed to read the Priesthood/RS lesson. I have found great value in reading all of the above before Sunday, so I read the BoM on the days I don't read the Sunday lessons requirements. I opened up to the last place I was reading hoping it would shed some light on my fast. It did that and more so. Mosiah 23 and 24 are about Alma and his people, their escape from the wicked Nephites, to their capture from the wicked Lamenites, and to their eventual freedom. I realized in my reading something I knew, but not as deeply and clearly as I learned yesterday. Heavenly Father has a tailor made plan for us. He knows us so very well, and knows what will teach us what we need to know. For some odd reason we learn best through trials. Because of our different personalities, which I firmly believe we came down here with, He has to give us different trials and challenges. Some of us hide ours pretty well, and should. Some trials are obvious to all around us. No matter what kind they are, I have learned through having 6 children and thankfully being close to them and from my own life, that we all have trials and challenges. It may look like others have a trouble free carefree life made in the shade, but I will guarantee you that is not the case. So back to my scrip study. Alma's people were very righteous, they did nothing bad that caused them the need to be humbled and go to the Lord, they were already that kind of a people. Yet the Lord allowed them to be captured and become prisoners of the Lamanites, and be tormented by the wicked Nephites that had joined the Lamenites. They cried unto the Lord and he eventually lifted the weight of their burdens, but he did not take them away. He took away the pain, and gave them the energy to do what they needed to do, but did NOT take them away. The people bore their afflictions with cheerful attitudes and were grateful the Lord had given them strength to bear their burdens. Soo to make a long story short, we are not going to get out of trials no matter how righteous we are, the challenge is to learn what Heavenly Father wants us to learn, and to learn to bear them cheerfully. Not an easy task, but none the less the more painless route to take. Today I was reading Elder Holland's talk on the "Tongue of Angels" and he said he never knew a situation that was so bad that whining made it easier. I loved that! I'm a good whiner,and mummerer. I realized that true happiness comes from realizing Heavenly Father loves us, the Lord atoned for our sins and therefore can strengthen us if we will ask and let him. If we will humble ourselves and do all we can with cheerful hearts having faith that Heavenly Father is very aware of our trials we will be able to bear them and learn great things from them. And we will also be able to become grateful for them, for they will make us more like the Saviour who bore all things. Heavy I know but a lesson if you could learn now would save you a lot of pain and wasted time in your life. I know that grief is real and necessary to go through. I just know if we will trust the Lord and ask him to teach us and heal us it won't take as long and we will be so much happier. I have suffered so much longer than is necessary in this life and caused others to suffer with me because I was stubborn and didn't trust the Lord. I hope you will read Mosiah 23 and 24 and think about you trials, and then read Elder Hollands talk in the May 07 Ensign. By the way that is not my confession this has been my Epiphany. The confession is yet to come!

Humanitarian Aid:
Today in RS, they had some blocks they needed sewn together for quilts. I looked over at them and thought about my talents and my ability to sew very quickly, and thought I would be a very ungrateful servant if I didn't take one of the quilts. So here is the one I put together this afternoon while watching the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. (now you know I don't just watch religious shows on the sabbath, still not the confession, I bet you're starting to wonder what it isss?)
It is just top, I don't know who will put it together, its pretty huh?

Ever Changing Weather on the Coast:
When we first decided to move to the coast, Bob and Judy Line happened to visit our ward one Sunday. I asked them why I should move to the beach. I asked them both separately, and the first thing out of both of their mouths was, "the weather". They said the loved the ever changing weather. That their was more sun and a nice moderate temperature, never too cold or too hot. I have found that to be true!! I love the weather here. It is ever changing from hour to hour, day to day. One of the hardest things about living here is not wanting to constantly take pics of the ocean. It is so beautiful no matter what the weather. I have a whole folder full of pics of the ocean out my back door. Here are just a few, hope you enjoy them.
Yesterday

These two were this morning


Today at 5:00

Some random days







These amazing sunset pics are much more common than you would think, but nonetheless never taken for granted. I almost always take time to stare! Last but not least the many colors one.


Well, it is time for the Confession:
I wrote a pretty arrogant hypocritical assessment of the Vampire books. While some of the things I said I do still feel, I have to admit, I miss the vampires and werewolves, and have had a hard time not thinking about them. I have thought a lot about Bella and agree with Danielle she is pretty realistic of her age. Also I think the reason she irritated me at times is because I like her react before I think (hence this confession) I consider this a weakness of mine and therefore am probably not very patient with others with the same weakness. Even though it can be a strength, it far to often comes around to bite me in the rear! I also love a good romance and I have to admit, it is a pretty powerful romance. It was a bit repetitive, I felt she leaned on the romance to keep it going too much, but it was nonetheless pretty powerful. All in all, I enjoyed them and am looking forward to the next book. Now wasn't' that big of me? HAA HAAA!

5 comments:

Danielle said...

hahaha I love you mom!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are so funny. Lets see, first off, the epiphany. It is always good to be reminded of that! I liked the quote or thought about no trial being big enough or whatever for whining to help. hahaa....I too, am a VERY good whiner. I agree with all of it. I just wish it was easier to remember every day.

Second, I'm glad you did the humanitarian quilt! Even though you say you aren't a quilter, you are still way good at it. It is definitely pretty:)

Third, the ocean is soooo pretty! I loved what you said because I KNOW it is so true. I love it. I even told Clay I kind of want to live on the beach if we can...hehee...who knows. I just love the ocean! And ocean susets! And the pictures when it was stormy...the ocean is so intruiging. I think some of my favorites were....like the 8th/9th pictures. Where there is just that glow with a gray sky. Oh those make the best pictures. I'm so grateful we moved to the coast. For so many reasons.

Last- the confession! hahahaa. you are soooo funny. I am STILL thinking of the vampires and werewolves! THAT is why I am so impressed with the books. Because I am STILL thinking about them all the time! This is why I compare with Harry Potter, in fact, these books are even a little stronger in that aspect. When I am NOT reading them, I am thinking about them. I think books like that must be well written, to leave such an impression. I'm glad you came around and agreed about Bella. That is a funny comparison you made between the two of you.

Well, I love you so much! I am so excited for you to come visit. I keep thinking... I miss my mom. I swear I've had that thought process a billion times the past few days. I don't know why specifically but all in all, I'm glad you are visiting soon. I love you!!! Sorry to those who read comments- mine was a long one- I know mom wont mind:)

Lizzie said...

I love you Mom. Thanks for the epiphany knowledge (I love that story by the way and just read part of it last week).I commented on the vampire post, but my hubby accidentally deleted while checking some sports numbers, soooo...I'll just have to talk to you about it on the phone. i love you!

Lizzie said...

I just read danielle's comment after i wrote mine and I think it's funny that the first thing both of us said was "i love you mom". =)

Megan and Greg said...

THank you for your thoughts. They were good for me. As hard as things have been for me, I keep getting these good mini epiphanies myself, and this was another one to put on top of the pile. I love you mom.

Not quite the Bradys said...

I love you, Sharon!!! Thank you for sharing your epiphany online so I could read it too. It was exactly what I needed right now. Ever since I cut my hand open I've really been struggling- especially with my ward, most of whom seem not to have any problems- due in part to the fact that they nearly all have put off having kids for a career so now they are all very affluent with only one child and two incomes. Thanks for the reminder that everyone has something going on.
Amy