Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Opinions?

Williams-Sonoma | Catalog: "Everyday Restaurant Dinnerware, 24-Piece Set Internet/Catalog Only Restaurants often serve meals on porcelain dinnerware like this because the ultrawhite finish shows off the color and texture of foods. The pieces are made to withstand rigorous restaurant use, so they’re sure to hold up in your home. Whether you are preparing an elegant soup or main dish of pasta for guests, this dinnerware is versatile enough for both casual and formal meals. Also suitable for indoor and outdoor dining, our well-priced pieces are great to have on hand when you’re hosting a large group for a barbecue or buffet. Microwavable; oven and dishwasher safe. A place setting includes a 9 1/2' dinner plate, 7 1/4' salad plate, 9' soup/pasta bowl and 12-oz.-cap. mug. Six 4-piece place settings. A Williams-Sonoma exclusive."


I have never bought china. My mom gave me her old china when I lived in town. I had a beautiful place to display it. Then we moved out here and I had no place to display it and I haven't got near the cupboard space that I had at the other house. My pantry and much of my kitchen extras are out in the garage and in my laundry room. So I gave all my mom's china to Rebecca.
Sooooo, I have been thinking if I got some nice porcelain dishes that were plain I could dress them up or down depending on how I set the table and what I used with it. I would get rid of my dishes I have had forever and just have the ones above. I am looking at the set above from Williams and Sonoma. The thing I like about them is that they seem durable ( a must for me) , they are oven proof, dishwasher safe, and microwave safe. How cool is that. And they seem reasonable. I also trust Williams Sonoma. So what do you think? I have two opinions I want, first what do you think in general and how many do you think I should get. I am thinking about getting two sets, that would give me 12 of everything. Then maybe another set of plates that would give me 18 plates, and adding 8 of the coolest bowls, also oven proof and etc.

Then maybe 6 cereal bowls
So what do you think? Okay I couldn't sleep and got back up and looked at crate and barrel. They have a set that is similar it is 20.00 cheaper, and the dishes are bigger, but it has two less plate settings. So about the same price so I am rethinking and will probably drive myself nuts. This particular set doesn't have all the cool add ons, but maybe I could order those from Williams and Sonoma, ahhhhh!!! I tried to paste the pic and it wouldn't let me. So here is the link.
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=30&f=1667
Look at the pure porcelain one also, it is more oven safe and appears to have more serving pieces. I know you can't make up my mind for me, it is just that the plates for the set at WS is not very big.

10 comments:

Danielle said...

First, you have left this opportunity WIDE open so I HAVE to take it- You know, the china police aren't going to come and arrest you for picking the 'wrong' one. hehehe. anyway, I like the WS set better. They seem more nice looking. I like it a lot and I think that You could dress it up, keep it plain, whatever. On special occasions you could even put those big colorful plasticky plates under them to make them all fancy. BUT, like the description says, restaurants can make them fancy just as they are. I like them. But the question is- do YOU like them? I love you!!! Good luck:) Try to figure it out soon so you can sleep again:-)

Emily said...

I love the look of the plain white plates. Very nice. And I don't think you can really go wrong with WS...they have such great stuff. I would have the same problem, I'm so indecisive when it comes to stuff like this. I would need help too. Go with your gut!

Rebecca said...

Okay, first of all they are beautiful. Then weight watchers always says to use smaller plates. So I would get the WS. I think the bowls are awesome and getting extra plates is a good idea. Love you.

Grandma, Nonnie said...

I like both, however I also feel it is a matter of your own personal taste, and if you ask maybe ws has larger plates that will match. I love the fact that is open stock and lots of serving pieces. Also it seems that WS has more in the set? I think that would be a plus. We never use all of the space on plates anyway. So YOU just bite the bullet and choose and get back to life. It looks as if it isn't that expensive and if you use it for 3 years you'll get your money's worth.So who really cares??? It all boils down to what YOU WANT and as Danielle said there are no china police, and you need your rest it is the HOLIDAYS. And as the Prophet Kimball said Just Do It!!! I love you you've always had good judgement. Hugs & Kisses Mom

Megan and Greg said...

The dinnerware looks great! I think it is definitely time to update. And really, you can afford it. Ok, here's something to think about. Greg and I have experienced this for ourselves because some of our dishes are HUGE!!! Big dishes mean BIG SERVINGS! It makes it look like you have nothing on your plate if it's normal, and if you fill it up it is way too much. Just because you are so concerned with weight, decide if that would make a difference or not. Otherwise sounds great. Get what you want! Oh, and I think you should get a lot because our family is only getting bigger. Congratulations! It's always exciting to change!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OK- if I were you- I would DEFINETLY go with the William Sinoma. My reasons: I think WS is nicer. I like the way they looked WAY BETTER. The WS ones look "nice" the CB looked like you could get it from Target, I didn't see anything special about them. #2- I absolutely LOVE the pasta/soup bowls and cereal bowls- they are so so cool. You HAVE to get those. #3- they are durable, restaraunts use them etc. I definetly think you should go with white, also- I would bet you the WS is whiter- because of the desire restaurants have to make their food look nice, where as the others are probably a grey white like ones you find in all other stores. To me, there is no question or doubt which one you should get. #4- the size. You have been using these plates your whole life, and you have survived, why do you need to get bigger? Here's the deal- the other day- I made a nice meal- and Mike and I did eat on platters, because I don't like my food to touch, and I felt like I was in a restaraunt and I liked it. SO- it could be nice to have bigger plates, but most people don't- and we've always been fine. Not to mention will bigger plates fit in your cupboards? AND- I can totally imagine Dad loading up his plate and saying "I feel like I'm tiny Tim about to eat his CHristmas dinner." becaue the plate is "soooo huge." So- I don't think the size matters at all. Now for the price: Mother do I need to remind you of how much money you have? Let me put something into perspective for you. Think about your suit you got. How much was that? How often do you wear that? How much will these dishes cost you? How often will you use them? GET IT?! DO NOT GET THE CB dishes just because you'll save 20 or 40 dollars or even 100! You are going to use these everyday. AND- lastly- I think you should get the WS dishes- I think they are fabulous and beautiful, and will look gorgeous on holidays and it will be so awesome because nwo you can have whatever napkins you want! It was kinda hard deciding fabrics for you because I had to match the vines.... Now you can do whatever you'd like. SO- there's my opinion- it sounds like to me the only reason you wouldn't want to get the WS is size. If they are the same size as the ones you have now, then why change unless it's something you really care about. Anyway- I'll support you in whatever you decide, but you did ask for opinions. I feel like Dad will REALLY love the WS dishes. especially the pasta/soup and ceral bowls- they're so cool. Love you!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH YEAH- and definetly get extra of the big plates for when we all come over.

Not quite the Bradys said...

They're fabulous. I would go with more place settings. You have a large (and ever-growing) family and would probably wish you had them whenever you eventually manage to get everyone there at one time.

Chad and Jessica said...

Okay, white china is the best idea, and Amy made some really good points about everything. The only additional thing I can think of is actually really stupid, but ol well. So, it's way cooler to say these plates are William Sonoma, as opposed to, these plates are from Crate and Barrel, cuz WS specializes in food stuff, not all home interior stuff like C and B. And plus, your food and talents would make any plate look great!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.