Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Comment on Amy's Observation about Treats

I just laughed and laughed when I read Amy's assessment on treats. We didn't have ice cream because we would eat it up so fast. 8 people eat a half gallon of ice ream in one sitting. Plus when I first got married I realized baking from scratch was cheaper most of the time. Then after I got into nutrition I realized homemade was healthier. When you guys were little or actually before you came Amy, we did have ice cream on a regular basis, I would make fudge sauce and dad and I would be pigs. Then when I started having a weight problem (when I was pregnant with Amy), I just bought ice cream when the missionaries came. Cookies were made less frequently also. When I was young and thin, we had cookies or some kind of treat on a daily basis. Your dad has forgotten that of course. He forgot the days when everything wasn't chocolate. We used to have all different kinds of treats. Cakes, pies, cookies, pudding, caramel popcorn, etc. ( I should show your dad the cookbooks and he would see how dirty they are on all the different treat pages!!) Then when you girls and Jake got old enough to bake you started the all chocolate treats, except when Jake made oatmeal or peanut butter cookies. I quit baking because I wanted you guys to learn to cook. Treats are a good way to encourage that. I love ice cream, so for me that is the kiss of death if it is in my freezer. Also when Costco came along it was a lot cheaper to buy the chocolate chips. Plus homemade cookies do cost less than store bought when you consider the quantity of the cookies. For me homemade ones are better also because I can make how many I want around, and then freeze the dough. So you see it was a mostly a matter of health and weight, not so much a matter of money. Although if I am honest, money will always play a role with cookies. Silly I know!!!!

10 comments:

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Haha- I KNEW you would explain yourself if I put that out there- I hope it didn't embarass you. OK- so Sarah just sent me a website about icecream- it's on my blog comments- you should look it up- beacuse according to that- it's like incredibly fattening. Is that true? Is it way more fattening to eat icecream than chocolate chip cookies? And I can't believe you used to buy icecream!!!! Man mom- you've been holding out on us!

rose said...

i love it sharon! i bake treats for a living, so i guess i'm in the business of getting people fat! yikes! but homemade is WAY BETTER any time and i do pretty much all organic too. but believe me, when you are around it ALL the time, you kinda get sick of the sweet stuff. you just want spinach or something. i hope i can instill in my boys the value of cooking like you have instilled it in your girls. it's so cool how they all cook. good job!

Emily said...

I eat treats for a living...it's horrible, but SO yummy! All this talking about cookies and ice cream is making me really hungry and in the mood to cook. Hmmmm...what shall it be?

the splendid life of us... said...

My mom couldn't make an edible cookie, but oh boy she was the best bread maker and she can make the most delicious apple pie and cinnamon rolls.

When you were talking about making cookies, I was trying to remember what your family used to call eating a spoonful of cookie dough. I know that it is something kinda wierd.

Sharon/Mom/ Grandma said...

We called it a "pick". The kids started that. We have all discussed it and decided it is because I probably said, "quit picking at the dough". :-)

AMY AND MIKEY said...

I still say- "do you want a pick?"

Danielle said...

me too

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Dad you are so funny. I love you.

AMY AND MIKEY said...

OH yeah and mom- I knew you would laugh-I love you

Danielle said...

mother....when are you going to put pics of ruby up!!!!!