Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Day of Gratitude

Today was one of those day's when I realize how incredibly blessed I am. I woke up at 6:30 and laid in bed for a while. All those years of getting up because a baby was crying, or because it was time to make breakfast or etc. is over, and I laid in bed thinking about things and what I wanted to do. It felt good.

I got up after about 15 min or so and Steve came in and said he was going fishing. Now I love my husband, but I love fishing days also. We are together 24/7, and so it is nice to have the house to my self sometimes. It was cloudy and rainy, but that was okay. Yesterday I did basically nothing but talk to my children with my foot up, nursing it along with ice and ibuprofen. I decided I would baby my foot today also.

So I ate oatmeal with peaches, I forgot there are fresh blackberries outside, tomorrow!!! I then took my shower, and sat on my love seat with my journal and Pres Kimball manual and studied my scriptures. It was wonderful. ( with my blinds open of course, the ocean out my window)

Then tried to call Amy a few times, and set up a few Vacation Rental sites. Watched a little TV.

Steve came home at about 6:00 with two nice sized Salmon. By the late afternoon the sun was out and it was gorgeous, I had to open all the doors and windows. We sat on the front porch for a few minutes talking about our days. And I thought about our view out the front porch on our bench. We talked about that for a minute.


I then walked out to my greenhouse to pick some veggies to go with the salmon.
My petunia plant is starting to grow out of the greenhouse

This is what I see when I open the door, and this is after I have pruned my tomatoes on the left.

I haven't really looked at all the veggies since I got back so it was an adventure.

Peppers

Herbs

2 Cherry Tomato plants


More Peppers and a volunteer Bean plant that gave us enough beans for dinner




2 Regular Tomato Plants

7 Bean plants

Yellow Squash, which always think they deserve to take over the universe

Zucchini Squash and chives

1 Cucumber Plant

Another cucumber plant, shallots, and carrots

Volunteer alyssium

As I am listening to my music and picking veggies I think about how incredible this all is. How blessed I am to have this huge greenhouse and all the years of expereicne so I can have these incredibly delicious organic perfect veggies. I go outside and dig a few red potatoes, look at the spinach and chard that has gone crazy. And I think again I am so blessed. This is what I picked for tonight

I realize and my kids will laugh, that I am a small town, country gardener. New York was fun, but I love my spacious yard and home! The dream that Steve and I had when we were first married has almost come to pass. Tonight we had food that I had grown and Steve had caught.

As I walk back to the house with my veggies, I see my beautiful flowers, amazed at all the years that I couldn't grow flowers.





It tasted as good as food can taste.

Our view was this-

Life cannot get better. I thought where much is given, much is expected. I am going to enjoy all this until Heavenly Father says it is time to serve a mission. Then at that time I need to go whole heartedly without any holding back, for I have much to give back!!!

I think He is trying to prepare me, this week I told the Joseph Smith story to two different people, and told them what the Book of Mormon was all about. It was a sweet experience both times.

Heavenly Father has given me everything and more than I have wanted in this life, so I am going to have faith that he will give me my wish to be here when my children have their babies. I am hoping he doesn't ask that sacarifice from me. Rebecca and Lizzie said they would step in and help, and I know they would, but I want to be there.

Just a side note totally off the subject, Steve and I have been watching a very fast bat flying around in our back yard! It's not the first time I have seen them.

Well, I have gone on long enough I love you all!!!
mom/Sharon

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow- you ARE blessed! Talk about a perfect day. Isn't it amazing how you have certain days where you realize how blessed you are and wonder, how could I EVER complain?! And the next day everything goes wrong? Ha- hopefully that didn't happen! But, I guess that's just how life goes. I am so jealous of your garden. I want it! I know that when I get a house I will be so excited to start a garden and I will go to all this effort and be horribly disappointed because I will have expected your vegetables and get beginner gross veggies. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO THE COAST! That view is soooo wonderful. Oh my gosh, and the porch looks amazing! Those flowers are sooo beautiful! You two really do have an amazing life, and you totally deserve it. Look at all you've done ALREADY! I know you will serve a mission as you said, but I think all of this is also deserved from all that hard work you've both done in raising us....still! I love you sooooo much. I can't wait for Saturday!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Oh my gosh- when I saw the picture of your dinner- my mouth watered and I got so hungry and I wanted to eat it so bad! You are so blessed! I have known that for a long time. You deserve it. You are wonderful people who have worked very hard. And your porch is so beautiful! I love the flowers and how much there is on teh porch- it's beautiful.

Lizzie said...

That was a beautiful post. The writing, pictures and feeling. I am so jealous that you get to eat food out of your greenhouse. You are so blessed. Your flowers look look amazing! And Dad, that salmon looked really good. Hope there's a lot of fresh veggies and seafood when I come up in a month. I am going to book my ticket right now. I love you both so much.

Emily said...

That was incredible! You are so talented...both of you!

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, that was a lot of vegetables for one night. You are going to live 'till you're 105. You make my little tomato plant (that I have been so proud of) look so sad and pathetic. But you know, I am still proud of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure Bruce would be green with envy at the sight of your garden, not to mention the fish. You are blessed and really blessed that you know you are blessed and appreciate that. I am blessed to have you as a friend and I loved reading your post.
love you,
Carol